SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Any way to to NOT export normals

PaulB
2013-11-01
2013-11-02
  • PaulB

PaulB - 2013-11-01

Hi,
    I really don't have a lot of experience with Maya, so perhaps this is more of a Maya question, however perhaps another file format would suffice. I'm trying to find a way to get a model into my app with no normals exported. I'd like to choose from vertex coloring or normals, or both. I am assuming it's supported in assimp since it has a HasNormals() method. No matter what I do in Maya I always seem to not only get normals, but also bitangents. I've gotten around the bitangent problem by checking if we have a normal texture and only then using them.

Any ideas or workarounds would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Paul

• PaulB

PaulB - 2013-11-02

I think I may have found the problems here. First of all I needed an earlier version of Maya to expose the option to exclude normals. Secondly I had used the assimp code as a template for mine and it passes in a bunch of bitflags that I didn't know I was passing in to generate normals etc. GenSmoothNormals was creating them on import for me. It's now working as I'd expect.

Thanks!

• Thomas Ziegenhagen

If you want to make sure you get no normals (or colours, or texture coords), you can employ the RemoveVertexComponent step. Or you just ignore the data, you don't have to use it if you don't need it.