Menu

Possibly also host on github?

ART Help
2020-05-28
2021-05-05
  • Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper - 2020-05-28

What would be the effort involved in moving, or at least copying, this project to github? And is this something that has been considered?

I understand there are some advantages to sourceforge, but I think this project could really take off more on github. It is more widely used and it is far easier for the community to contribute. There are not many well supported open source reporting tools out there and this seems to be one of the better ones. But I only barely came across it. I have never used sourceforge for anything and so I was shocked to see such a well maintained project with a community behind it, and I feel like a lot of people will miss it because it is here. A fairly decent dockerized version of Art already exists on github and I may be updating it and github makes that so easy to do and then share.

I know that could be a big move, but I am curious about the possiblity. If the official maintainers are not willing to do so, is there any objection to someone else attempting to do so? (It is open source so I am guessing that wouldn't be an issue).

• Timothy Anyona

Timothy Anyona - 2020-05-28

Hi Andrew,
    I'm currently one of the maintainers. I'm not sure about a move for now. What would copying involve?

• Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter

I'm not a maintainer, just a eventual contributor. I don't even vote for yes or no.
    But I don't see why this "hype" on using github. I don't see github being "easier" or "better". And I don't think "search" is an issue - Google is taking care of that. As far as I can see, github is just another code repository, and sourceforge offer exactly the same... even more, with support for subversion, mercurial and git, of course. And once you have an account, you can access source code anyway.
    Just my 2c.

• Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper - 2020-06-15

ART was not neccesarily the easiest tool to find. While I appareciate the simplicity of the name, it is such a common name it is hard to find any results for this reporting tool. Sourceforge is also far less widely used and known. And honestly, less trusted. At least from my point of view. But I am still a bit new to the tech world.

I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of traffic automatically puts in lower in search results than Github. I believe there are several reasons just from the ways analytics work that would make it better. Additionally, git is so much more of a convenient system in my mind than svn. I would much rather clone a git repo with the code than download a tar file of it. But that could just be preference.

I may make an effort to create a working copy on github, but admittedly I am not even sure exactly what it involves. If there are any objections to that please let me know.

Either way, I do intend to try and update the current dockerhub image and dockerized version of art on github. A reporting tool like this that can run in a kubernetes cluster, or even just locally in docker, is an incredibly useful tool.

👍
  • Timothy Anyona

Timothy Anyona - 2020-06-16

I've created a repository on GitHub with the art code. You can try it out. https://github.com/tanyona/art

• Russell Castagnaro

thanks!!