Request to join Arianne & implement features

Mallika
2007-11-27
2013-06-06
  • Mallika

Mallika - 2007-11-27

Hello,
    I want to work on Arianne RPG and in particular implement the following from the existing feature list :
           * Dropping items over existing should swap them : Currently, dropping an item from bag to character pane , in order to equip the new item and store the previous item in bag is not possible without manually inequipping the item and the equipping a new one.

* Adding Item sets with bonuses
        * Single click navigation: Currently, player has to double-click to attack or move, convert it into a single left click to move and a single right click to attack.
        * Adding Item sets with bonuses: Make an item set to get bonus stats instead of having items with single attributes.

If it is fine with you, I plan on completing this by the
    11th of December, 2007, since working on a challenging Open
    Source Project is part of my course curriculum ( and that is
    the deadline :) )
    More about me below...

About me:
    I am a Master's student, studying Computer Science at New York University.

Thanks a lot!

Best,
         Mallika

• Miguel Angel Blanch Lardin

Hi Mallika,

Sure, go ahead, and send it as Patches to Sourceforge tracker.
      I have to warn you that the Drop item thing is not exactly easy, so be sure to test it throughly. Our previous tests ended up on items duplications and/or items lost.

About the single click, it is prone it won't be accepted. One click is select, two clicks move. Nothing is selectable on Stendhal but that's the usual approach.

We meet usually at irc.freenode.net #arianne so feel free to join us there.

Regards,
      Miguel

• Nathan

Nathan - 2007-11-29

How about in settings a button to turn off sound?

• Miguel Angel Blanch Lardin

/sound mute on

Or something like that :)
        Right now there is no coherent plan of developing a GUI, so we will reject most things that only patch the actual system.
        It is not really a good idea to keep adding dialogs and stuff to the actual one that is already complex enough.

• Hendrik Brummermann

> Right now there is no coherent plan of developing a GUI

http://arianne.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=StendhalCodeDesign#Client

> so we will reject most things that only patch the actual system.

I am not going to reject patches for small things that will not make the current situation worse. The transparent minimap, however, is a problem because of the performance issues of transparency on some plattforms. So it will not be enabled by default anytime soon. Use -Dstendhal.transparency=junk on the commandline directly after "java".

> It is not really a good idea to keep adding dialogs and stuff
          > to the actual one that is already complex enough.

We had some bad experiences with the stability of Marauroa 2.0 because it was a "big bang" mostly developed in an isolated environment. The client redesign should be done using lots of small steps that are not isolated. So that the small steps get real world testing.

• Paul Jones

Paul Jones - 2007-12-30

so did the dude wanting to help end up following thro

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments