Software downloads to strange directory

Help
2009-03-02
2013-06-05
  • Robert Keith

Robert Keith - 2009-03-02

Have created corporate repository, with an apps.xml, versions,xml, etc.

This seems to work except for an odd behavior.

Using the command line utilitie [appupdater]

Can show the applications using the --info

When downloading the application, I believe the application should be downloaded by default to :  ...Application Data\Appupdater\temp

The download actually goes to ...Application Data\Appupdater\apps\IPMIView20\*

The "apps\IPMIView20" path is the path inside the apps.xml/versions.xml which is where the package is retrieved from.

When doing an install, the package gets loaded to the "apps/IPMIView20" directory, but appupdater trys to find the downloaded package in the "temp" directory.

Actuall command:
    C:\PROGRA~1\APPUPD~1>appupdater --install=IPMIView20 --no-silent -d
    Using config at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Appupdater\ appupdater.ini.
    Checking dependencies...
    Downloading C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Appupdater\temp
    .metalink
    [-------------------------------------------------------] 0%
    Downloading to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Appupdater\a
    pps\IPMIView20\IPMIView20-Win32_v2.6.59_Build090204.exe.
    [###########################----------------------------] 51% 23.00/45.40 MBtemp

• nabber00

nabber00 - 2009-03-03

I've never seen that before with my files.  My guess is within your <metalink> section in versions.xml, the file name includes that path.  This example tag would cause the behavior you are describing according to the metalink spec:

<file name="Apps\IPMIView20\IPMIView20-Win32_v2.6.59_Build090204.exe">

where instead it should read:

<file name="IPMIView20-Win32_v2.6.59_Build090204.exe">

If that's not it I can probably be more helpful if you post the relevant part of your versions.xml file.

Alternatively you can modify your <install> tag to read:

<install>%cache\..\Apps\IPMIView20\IPMIView20-Win32_v2.6.59_Build090204.exe</install>

• Robert Keith

Robert Keith - 2009-03-04

Hi,

Yes, that was it.  I was using the metalink commandline to automatically create the metalink portion of versions.xml, and it included the relative path.

Fixed the script to run metalink command in same directory as the executable and this worked fine.

Thanks,  beautiful software BTW

• nabber00

nabber00 - 2009-03-05

Great!

1. I'm sure glad its not a bug!

2. Thanks for giving it a try.  I know its not the easiest thing in the world making repositories right now.  Let me know if you have any feedback on that.  I think the next thing I want to do is create a "validator" script to point out errors and potential problems such as this.

• Robert Keith

Robert Keith - 2009-03-05

Now I am working through how the client locates installed software.  This needs to be coded into the XML files correctly as well.  I can download and install an application, but the appupdater software does not scan and find this to update the local installed software index.

Currently to understand how this works requires looking over the working repository as examples, and reverse engineer or guess on functions.

Perhaps I can contribute to this project by creating some documentation on creating repositories?   Large organizations and corporations will insist on hosting their own repositories.

• nabber00

nabber00 - 2009-03-06

Have you looked at the XML.txt file that ships with Appupdater?  You can also find it here:

http://appupdater.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/appupdater/trunk/XML.txt

Also there are some tools in the SVN repository, but I haven't made an official release of those yet.  There is a hash tool in the "Tools" menu of Appupdater to compute the hashes.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks