2008-03-07
2013-06-05
  • hilt2

hilt2 - 2008-03-07

Hello,

there are some issues with the UI for appupdater:
    - the installer starts command line instead of the ui
    - initial searching for application takes too long/blocks the ui
    - it looks not "native" on Windows XP. It will probably have the same problem on Vista
    - no search

If these are Python problems I could probably help and write one in Java or Delphi.

What do you think?

• nabber00

nabber00 - 2008-03-07

- the installer starts command line instead of the ui
      This is intentional as the command line version has been tested more and is much more stable.  Maybe this will change with the next release.

- initial searching for application takes too long/blocks the ui
      I've made some improvements on searching time since the last release and these are in svn already, but it takes as long as it takes.  Time should be comparable to the command line, if not, file a bug.  Blocking the UI is intentional, you should see a progress bar during this process.  I've had issues with this, see previous comment.

- it looks not "native" on Windows XP. It will probably have the same problem on Vista
      Its not designed to be native.  I'm using the GUI toolkit included with Python (Tk), which means it will run on any platform "out of the box" so long as Python is installed.  Using something like WxPython to create a native GUI for Windows is something I've considered, but haven't pursued yet.  If you are interested this is certainly an option, Appupdater is written as a library so you can "wrap" many different interfaces around it without much trouble.

- no search
      No one has asked for a search before.  What do you want to search for/by?

• Ant Bryan

Ant Bryan - 2008-03-08

I hope this isn't offensive, but I added something to our Google Summer of Code ideas page: http://groups.google.com/group/metalink-discussion/web/gsoc08-ideas

Design and create a friendly, easier to use GUI for Appupdater, which provides advanced functionality to Windows, similar to apt-get or yum on Linux.
        Difficulty: Easy
        Skills: Python coding, must have an eye for design, be good at UI stuff.
        Details: Get ideas from the better GUI package managers on Linux.

• nabber00

nabber00 - 2008-03-08

Yeah, I saw that already, thats fine.  As previously mentioned I don't consider it a finished product.  Its basically there because its Windows and people were asking for a GUI, I suppose it is somewhat of an expectation for a Windows product.

• hilt2

hilt2 - 2008-03-14

Hello,

I was able to set up my environment (thanks to BUILD.txt) and run appupdater. TK does not support XP look and feel as far as I understand. It seems wxPython is the way to go. I will try it out.

Regards

• hilt2

hilt2 - 2008-03-12

Hello,

>Appupdater is written as a library so you can "wrap" many different interfaces around it without much trouble.
      what do you mean by "library"? Is it a DLL? Or do I have to learn Python to reuse the code? Is there an API or should I better use command line?
      I'd prefer to write an UI using Delphi. If it is possible to do it this way please add me the project. If you have pointers to some documents that could be helpful please post them here.

> No one has asked for a search before. What do you want to search for/by? 
      generally a full search capability would be nice.

Regards

• nabber00

nabber00 - 2008-03-14

Appupdater is a Python library.  It doesn't look like there is an easy way to turn it into a DLL although py2exe or elmer might make this possible.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks