AJ 1.4.3.1 / OS 10.3.5 / User Cache Hang

2009-05-18
2012-10-09
  • Mike Harrison

Mike Harrison - 2009-05-18

After downloading and running Applejack 1.5 on my OS 10.4.11 drive, I downloaded and installed AJ 1.4.3.1 for my OS 10.3.5 drive. When I ran it, it hung after I answered 'yes' as to whether AJ should clean the user cache files. After rebooting and running again, the same thing happened.

Why is AJ hanging at this point? Clearing out the user cache files on the 10.4.11 drive freed-up a lot of drive space, and that's what I was hoping for when running AJ 1.4.3.1 on the OS 10.3.5 drive.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

• Al Varnell

Al Varnell - 2009-05-18

Mike,

I reported this last year (see Bug Tracker #2092291) and it was fixed for the next release of 1.4.3.x, but we might never see it.

-Al-

• Mike Harrison

Mike Harrison - 2009-05-18

Thanks for your reply, Al.

To your knowledge, is there a way - other than using Applejack - to delete the user cache files? I've found the folder: Home(User)/Library/Caches but I don't want to remove anything from there unless I know for certain they are the same files that Applejack would delete.

Thanks...

Mike

• Al Varnell

Al Varnell - 2009-05-18

Mike,

There are several utilities that will do this for you. I'm a fan of Cache Out X, myself. Recommend you read this tip from Randy Singer <http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html?#3> before you do anything else.

I cannot say positively that you will get the same results by manually deleting the user cache's you found, but from what I've read you can't really do any harm by deleting any cache file. When used properly, they should not contain any irreplaceable information and are only kept to save you the small amount of time required to re-download or re-load some commonly used information. The first time you visit that site or launch that application or re-boot it will take a little longer, but the cache file will be re-built from scratch and available until it's deleted, superseded or expired.

Hope this helps, -Al-

• Mike Harrison

Mike Harrison - 2009-05-19

You've been a big help, Al. Both in the referral to Cache Out X, and to the macattorney diagnostics page.

Great stuff. I appreciate it. Thanks!

Mike