memtest

natcarish
2007-03-16
2012-10-09
  • natcarish

natcarish - 2007-03-16

Does applejack contain the latest version of Memtest or do I need to download the latest from their website?

• Arthur Carter

Arthur Carter - 2008-11-03

No, it does not come with an installer. The download is simply a file folder full of files that they say you should drop into your Applications folder. The Unix script for Single User Mode is configured to look for Memtest at that location.

Replacing the Memtest folder with an update is obviously simple. What's not simple is updating the version of Memtest that is included with Applejack. That version, 4.14 is a) out of date now; and b) located down in the bowels of the OS in the form of 3 files as follows:

/usr/local/sbin/memtest - the memtest memory testing program
      /usr/share/man/man8/memtest.8 - man page for memtest
      /Library/Documentation/memtest414 - the documentation for memtest

I would prefer to be able to use Applejack to run Memtest, but only if it will run the latest version of Memtest.

• Kristofer Widholm

AppleJack 1.4.3 ships with Memtest version 4.14. If you need a later version, there's nothing stopping you from doing so.

• Arthur Carter

My question is, after downloading the latest version of Memtest, what exactly, and I mean exactly, should be done to replace the older version?

• Kristofer Widholm

1) Install memtest
        2) Delete the old version.

Or

1) Delete the old version
        2) Install memtest.

Either will work.

• Arthur Carter

Since Memtest does not come with an auto-install device, my question is about what exactly should be installed and WHERE. The Applejack READ ME file indicates that 3 items are installed for Memtest:

/usr/local/sbin/memtest - the memtest memory testing program
          /usr/share/man/man8/memtest.8 - man page for memtest
          /Library/Documentation/memtest414 - the documentation for memtest

When I look in the downloaded Memtest 4.22 folder, I see "memtest" which I assume is the script that should be replaced. However, I also see a "source" folder with 14 files in it AND I do NOT see "man" or "man8" or "memtest8". I do not understand what those items are, if they need to be replaced, and if so, how.

So, when you say to just "install memtest", that does not really address my question. It assumes I understand WHAT to install and WHERE to install it.

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but could you please clarify exactly WHAT should be installed and WHERE?

• Kristofer Widholm

I think I would contact the memtest developer for help with installing memtest. She or he would probably know best. Doesn't it come with an installer?