A Fake Official AOI Site on Wikipedia?

Help
Oh Yeah
2015-07-31
2015-07-31
  • Oh Yeah

Oh Yeah - 2015-07-31

Hi,
    I'm new to AOI and confused about the site. Wikipedia (en) points to "http://www.artofillusion.org/" as the "Official Art of Illusion Site" (shown at two places on the wikipedia's AOI page), but the connection to the site is broken with a DNS lookup error.

Googling AOI gave that site and also its download site "http://www.artofillusion.org/downloads" yesterday, both of which were unreachable. Today the former entry disappeared from the google result (the latter still remains in google cache).

I was horrified: such a big name like AOI disappeared "without a trace" -- can it happen? So I googled up and down and finally located sourceforge. Pheeeew. Relieved. :-)

So here's my question: was that site authorized or approved by AOI maintainers? If not, I strongly urge someone (with AOI authority) to immediately correct the Wikipedia page, and to post a HUGE warning on the sourceforge AOI top page to tell newbies (like me) that they should not download anything from the fake site.

In that case, it is also advisable to investigate the security issues: how long has the site been active? How many people have downloaded (potentially risky) AOI from there? Did it give malware or something? etc.

If this whole thing is already discussed and resolved somewhere, sorry about it and please give me a pointer. Thanks.
    Cheeeeeeers :-)

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2015-07-31

Nothing as sinister as that: just confusion at the domain registrar. I'm working on getting it fixed. They're saying it should be resolved within about half an hour.

Peter

• Peter Eastman

By the way, www.artofillusion.org is just an alias to aoi.sourceforge.net. So you can still access it there.

Peter

• Oh Yeah

Oh Yeah - 2015-07-31

Peter,
    Thanks a bunch for your lightening-fast reply. Great to hear that everything is going right!

• Peter Eastman

Not as lightening fast as all that: Luke emailed me about it earlier. :) You happened to post just as I was almost finished. And it seems to be back up now.

Peter

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks