Hardware Support

John_S
2014-05-10
2014-05-12
  • John_S

John_S - 2014-05-10

Is there much point in a GPU heavy system in speeding up an AoI render? CUDA support? Throw a GeForce GTX 680 at AoI and what happens?

• Luke S

Luke S - 2014-05-10

Nothing much at the moment. AOI's raytracer doesn't use the GPU at all. If you have a very complex scene, a good GPU can speed up interactive rendering, ie the layout/animation views.

There has been some talk about getting the raytracer to support GPU acceleration, but so far its just talk.

Last edit: Luke S 2014-05-10
  • Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2014-05-11

Yep. I think a GPU accelerated raytracer would be a great feature. But I have no plans to write one myself.

Peter

• Pete

Pete - 2014-05-11

Hmmm... this brings to my mind... (OOT really, but still)...

Would it be possible to acelerate the image generation at modelling time, when there is a template image in the scene?

Just quite recently I had a 1040x1560 pixel image as a template and comparing to what is happening with rendering images, the view manipulation became very "sticky"... Slow to react. It was that template image causing that.

Of course the image could have been smaller, but that just happened to be the piece, I was working on and the plan was to add some modelled details into the picture, so it seemed natural to use the original one as the template.

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2014-05-11

Do you have OpenGL enabled? If you do, a template image should have very little effect.

Peter

• Pete

Pete - 2014-05-12

That's it!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks