Resizing by % ?

Mystery
2009-04-04
2013-06-05
  • Mystery

Mystery - 2009-04-04

First of all, I enjoy working with AOI a lot, especially the plugins are awesome :D
    So thanks to all who have been working on the software or have provided plugins for it!

I have a question - I'm not sure if it has already been discussed in the past:
    Will it be possible to resize objects/meshes by % (separately for x, y, and z)? It would be a very helpful feature :)

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2009-04-04

Select Object->Transform Object, then enter the scale factors you want.

Peter

• Marc

Marc - 2009-04-04

This brings to mind a software package I've been teaching recently - it allows you to type any unit or even percentages into any transform dialog, and does the conversion automatically.

For example, you could type 200% in the X field, "480 / 2" in the Y field, and "4 in." in the Z field and it would work fine.

It would be cool to be able to tell AoI what real-life measurements you want AoI units to represent, typing something like "4 in." into a transform dialog, and having that conversion done automatically.

• Mystery

Mystery - 2009-04-04

Thank you very much Peter!

• Pete

Pete - 2009-04-05

>It would be cool to be able to tell AoI what real-life measurements you want AoI units to represent, typing something like "4 in." into a transform dialog, and having that conversion done automatically.

OK - this is off topic....

That has been common practice with engineering software already "since for ever". You can type in a plain number and it's understood to be of the "default unit". What the default unit is, is a user preference.

Then you can type a number with a unit like (2,6") or (11mm).They even take (simple) calculations like (11mm - 3.2mm) -- I'm not sure, what happens if I'd type (2,6" - 11mm)?

The way I see it is, that first artofillusion.math would need to be equipped with a unit converter. Then the widget, that is receiving the numeric information would need to be recoded. Luckily (Well, yeah... luck has nothing to do with it: Peter obviously programmed it for further development) the widget would seem to be the artofillusion.ui.ValueField -- Which is AoI's own.

There are no quarantees that all the plugins and scripts use that one -- but then AoI would assume "default unit" ;)

...And the question remains, how for example the surface accurary for rendering should actually work... or all the physics related things like material scatterig, gravity ...8/

• Pete

Pete - 2009-04-05

@ Peter

Now that this came up --  Could you add a third option to the radiobuttons in the Translate: "Scene center" or "Scene origin"?

I have occasionally needed to scale a whole scene that has not been symmetric; maybe several thousands of units to one direction, but nothing behind the camera. --> The interesting parts of the scene are nowhere near the origin after that...

-P-

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks