Home page needs updating and image uploads.

2015-10-09
2016-01-29
  • Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2015-10-09

I think it's time for an update to the homepage and the gallery. There's been a lot of advancement in the software and I'm sure there are lots of images out there that show AoI off. I might even have a few.

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2015-10-10

I totally agree. The whole site needs a major refresh. I keep hoping someone will volunteer to do it. :)

Peter

• Luke S

Luke S - 2015-10-10

I see you have found a way to do anemones... nice.

@peter: it might be nice to know what you have in mind for a site update. Would you still want a primarily static site, with just a bit of a facelift, or are you considering other types of features?

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2015-10-10

I would volunteer to work on it. Agree with Luke's statement too.

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2015-10-10

I'm really flexible. A primarily static site is obviously a lot simpler to do. What do you suggest?

Peter

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2015-10-10

I agree it doesn't have to be super fancy. I'll think about it and maybe do a few mockups to run past you.

• Luke S

Luke S - 2015-10-11

I'd agree that mostly static would probably be best, though I do see a use for a couple of dynamic-ish features that shouldn't be too hard. Mostly Client-side javascript & a couple of simple API hooks that are built into sourceforge.

Nathan, Something to keep in mind is mobile web access. More and more people are doing their browsing, etc. on tablets and phones. It would be nice if the web layout responded well to that type of situation. I'll be glad to help bounce ideas around, test, etc.

I've also noticed that a fair bit of the static content on the site is dated/could use some brushing up. For instance, the screenshots seem to be a half dozen versions out-of-date. Might also be an opportunity to freshen up the copy for some of the info pages as well.

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2015-10-11

Luke, I'm starting a new full-time job Monday and have an arts/crafts show this coming Sunday - so a little busy this week. Next week I hope to be back in full swing. But, if you want to start planning, designing and/or coding, please do. If you have a task that you think would suit me, feel free to assign it to me. I'll try to do what I can this week, but like I said I'll be pretty busy.

• Luke S

Luke S - 2015-10-12

Hope the new job goes well. I'm prety much an amateur at all of this, so I'm not sure I'm the person to "assign" anything. Might be helpful though to get an idea of our relative strengths and weaknesses.

• First, its pretty obvious that you are a better modeler/texturedesigner than myself (or, at least, spend more effort on it.)
    • I'm okay with writing copy. Not a pro, but have spent some time trying to learn to communicate clearly.
    • Wrting HTML/CSS/Javascript: I'm an amateur. Along the lines of "google how to do this," but I know how to RTM and believe that in the end, I could put some stuff together cleanly...
    • Ideas: I'll get together some mocks, would like feedback before spending to much time coding, and would like to hear your ideas as well.

Are there any particular areas that you would be interested in working on?

Couple of things to ask Peter when we get a chance:

I've noticed that there seem to be several different logo type things assiciated with AOI:

• The oval thing used as Favicon here on sourceforge. (Is there a larger version of this around, BTW?)
    • Several variations on the cone/sphere/cylinder theme.
    • The fancy Text in the head of the current AOI.org page.

Should we standardize on one of these, or perhaps, time and interest permitting, develop a new logo based on one of the ideas?

Think that color-schemes, etc, can be worked out as we go.

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2015-10-16

I'm happy with the new job so far.

I'd be glad to do any graphics work and would enjoy tackling a logo (with guidance and final approval by all of course). I'm fairly amature with HTML/CSS/js as well, but would be glad to help pound a website out by brute force. Looking forward to getting into it much more next week.

• Luke S

Luke S - 2015-10-15

Just a quick mock for the hompage. Colors are placholders, more for intended visual weight than anything. What does everyone think of this? I'm sort of a fan of the side menu, and a clean look.

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2015-10-16

Looks good Luke. I'm not sure on the colors for the side menu, but a great start.

• Luke S

Luke S - 2015-10-17

Well, the colors are supposed to be a placeholder. Especially the border. And they most certainly are not intended to coordinate at this point. Think of it more as a geopolitical map, with each entity a different color for contrast.

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2015-10-15

I'm in about the same category as Luke. I can write some plausible copy, and I can hack together HTML/Javascript, but I'm not at all a professional at that. And I am very definitely not a graphic designer.

There isn't really a single logo so much as a vague concept that has been used in a lot of different logos. Hence, the rotating splash screens. Any one of the existing things could be used as a logo, or something new could be created.

Peter

• Luke S

Luke S - 2015-10-17

Here's a bit of a different thought with an always-on-top menu, and a modified mobile view. Have another thought for mobile as well, will post later. One of the beauties of modern HTML/CSS is that the HTML for both of these versions would be the same, just styled differently. We could also mix and match, the mobile option from one set would work with the wider versions from the other.

LOGO: In the long run, I think AOI would benefit from having a simple, recognizable logo/brand. I enjoy the Geometric Primitives spelling out "AOI" but am unsure of how well they would simplify.
    @Nathan, what would you envision for a logo? Would you want to stick with the existing meme, or would you possibly go somplace entirely different? Right now, no reason not to throw out ideas, just to see what people think of them.

What other features/improvements would you like to see considered for the site? Anyone considered doing an intro video?

• Luke S

Luke S - 2016-01-17

Hey, everyone. Sorry for the delay... Has it really been since October?

Here is a WIP for an updated homepage.

I need to emphasize that this is a WIP and does need refinement. In particular, the colors are a disaster, and I have not been able to break past that rut.

• Page layout is as I imagined it, and it responds to viewport size, so please test on phone/tablet.
    • Links currently go nowhere, just a styled list
    • Style is currently embeded in the page, though on a live site, it would be served as a separate CSS file. Embeding is easier to experiment with for now.
    • In a finished version, the image would rotate through several choices randomly, and the largest version (desktop screens) would have a collage of 3-5 images

Right now, what I'm looking for is feedback on how the page flows, and suggestions on a proper color scheme. If i'm way off base with what I have so far, let me know.

Other things that need attention:

• Would like to have a logo on the left end of the header, except on mini (phone) size.
    • I threw the copy together in about 10 min, and it could use some polish/reworking.

• YardStick

YardStick - 2016-01-18

Hmm. Great to see some progress on this front too..

Have you guys seen this: http://get-simple.info/start/ ? Content management system... So editing or creating more content requires no coding at all.

It is a bit limited in it's capabilities, but it's also extremely light weight. Very basic page structure, and best of all, it's flat file, so no SQL needed. HTML5, CSS3 and some very basic PHP needed to create the templates.

I've done couple of websites with that. I'm no master in this sorta thing, but I think it's worth a look...

• Luke S

Luke S - 2016-01-29

@yardstick, Thanks for looking, and thanks for the link. I've taken a couple of quick looks, and I'm not sure what I would use it for, at least as I understood things so far. The design/presentation part is what seems most difficult to me, and AFAIK, that still needs to be done when using get-simple. Have I missed something?

Still considering, trying to put together a bit more coordinated color/graphical theme.

• YardStick

YardStick - 2016-01-29

Spot on. You still need to do the layout and design for the pages. Template is what GetSimple calls them..
      What you use the GetSimple for when you have the Template(s) done, is the content. Uploading images, creating pages managing sidebar(s) etc. in a way you don't have to mess with html when adding more images or updating some text.
      And you can give the access to update/create content for multiple users, and give them different sort of rights.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks