Good practices in editing other's files?

Pete
2016-10-15
2016-10-18
  • Pete

Pete - 2016-10-15

Hi!

A practical example: I'm going to edit a file that Peter Eastman has originally created. On top of it there is the usual label like

/* Copyright (C) 1999-2015 by Peter Eastman

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the
       terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
       Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY
       WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
       PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details. */

So, what would be the acceped, proper way of expressing, that I have contributed something into it?

What I have seen is that the other authors' names are just listed after the first one, but is that the common practice or is there something else that would be considered polite or appropriate?

Other than that, I think I'll, at least for a while, leave tags like // edit by Pete to the places I have modified just to find the very much possible errors easier later on. :)

BR

-P-

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2016-10-15

What I have seen is that the other authors' names are just listed after the first one

Sounds reasonable to me.

Other than that, I think I'll, at least for a while, leave tags like // edit by Pete to the places I have modified just to find the very much possible errors easier later on. :)

I don't think that's necessary. We can already use git to search back through the version history, or to see who last edited any line.

• Pete

Pete - 2016-10-16

Thanks. Will follow that. :)

• Luke S

Luke S - 2016-10-17

This does seem to be the standard way to handle multiple contributors to an Open Source project. Just for clarity, it might be best to have each new contributor's name on a new line, like so:

/* Copyright (C) 1999-2015 by Peter Eastman
    *  Changes Copyright (C) 2016 by Lucas Stanek
    *  &tc, &tc.
    */

• Pete

Pete - 2016-10-18

Ok. That sounds righ to me.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks