2013-12-27
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2013-09-23

AoI 3.0 is now officially released!

Peter

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2013-12-25

It breaks my "hairy" script - null pointer exception - which worked in 2.92

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2013-12-25

It works fine for me. I created a sphere, converted it to a triangle mesh, renamed it to "hairy", and created a scripted object. It now has hair coming from it, and no exceptions.

What's the stack trace?

(Good to hear from you. It's been a while!)

Peter

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2013-12-25

Remind me where to get the stack trace. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2013-12-27

I am using Windows 7 64bit
        Here's the script output:
        java.lang.NullPointerException
        at artofillusion.script.ScriptRunner.getScriptEngine(ScriptRunner.java:45)
        at artofillusion.script.ScriptRunner.parseObjectScript(ScriptRunner.java:92)
        at artofillusion.script.ScriptedObject.getObjectScript(ScriptedObject.java:86)
        at artofillusion.script.ScriptedObjectController$1.run(ScriptedObjectController.java:48)

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2013-12-27

By any chance are you creating a ScriptedObject programmatically? That stack trace looks like its "language" field is null.

Peter

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2013-12-27

Yes, that was it. The pulldown must be new, I changed it to Beanshell, and now it works. Ignore the rest of my posts.

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2013-12-27

Okay. I checked my script and it was slightly different. At the bottom, I dropped out of the for loop 1 segment early by subtracting 1 from the length in the for loop. After the loop finishes, I create the last segment iteration with zero length to close the tube without making it a point. This still works in 2.9.2, but errors out in 3.0

// Place the remaining vertices.
          for (k = 1; k < v.length-1; k++)     {
            // Place the next vertex.
            dir.normalize();
            v[k] = v[k-1].plus(dir.times(segmentLength));
            // Add a random displacement to the direction.
            dir.x += waviness*(random.nextDouble()-0.5);
            dir.y += waviness*(random.nextDouble()-0.5);
            dir.z += waviness*(random.nextDouble()-0.5);
            // Add a displacement due to gravity.
            dir.add(gravity);
          }

dir.normalize();
            v[k] = v[k-1];
          // Create the hair.
          hair = new Tube(v, new float [] {1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f}, new double []
           {thickness, thickness,  thickness, 0.0f}, Tube.APPROXIMATING, Tube.OPEN_ENDS);
          script.addObject(hair, new CoordinateSystem());

I saw now other differences from the basic hairy script.

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2013-12-27

Ok. I started from scratch with the hairy script and added my changes at the bottom and it worked. Must have been something else going on in the script that I couldn't find. Sorry for the mistake.

• John_S

John_S - 2013-09-24

And ...doesn't load. Win XP.

Get the splash. Then freezes.

Dismissing javaaw closes it.

• Luke S

Luke S - 2013-09-24

Some details would help. How are you installing?

• Windows installer
      • Got the .zip file, not really installed
      • Other

The same for how are you starting?

• Windows launcher
      • Double Click .jar file
      • Command line/custom batch file

If the last, what exactly is the command you are using?

• John_S

John_S - 2013-09-24

windows installer

ver 3.0 splash launches

tried clicking icon, target "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Programs\ArtOfIllusion\Art of Illusion.exe"

• Luke S

Luke S - 2013-09-25

A question, and a troubleshooting step.

Q: How long have you allowed the freeze to sit? A few moments, or several minutes?

I've posted a .bat file. Place it in your AOI install directory. (The one that has artofillusion.jar in it)

Start AOI by double-clicking on this file. Does the start-up still freeze?

If so, look for two files: log.txt and errlog.txt in that same directory.

If there is anything in them, post it here.

Last edit: Luke S 2013-09-25
  • chris w

chris w - 2013-09-25

Works fine for me on WinXP, jogl enabled.

Ran the windows installer and launch from start menu.

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2013-09-25

Did you also have this problem with the beta, or did that work for you?

Peter

• John_S

John_S - 2013-09-25

Did you also have this problem with the beta, or did that work for you?

I avoid betas ...for just this reason.

• simple_impulse

simple_impulse - 2013-09-25

3,0 install works smoothly in my two Linux boxes, one is 32-bit and other 64-bit. No errors so far.

• Pete

Pete - 2013-09-25

Looks like the last update to the Finnish translation did not make it to 3.0 after all... (I originally tried e-mailing the translation, but I got the address wrong -- figured it would be found on the forum, but I guess not...)

Anyway, no big deal -- I alredy found a mistranslation, that must have been there already before I did anything to it. Need to update for the future anyway. :)

And on the Summary and Files sections on the forum the links to latest version still point to 2.9.2. I wonder if those are supposed to automatic?

-P-

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2013-09-25

I avoid betas ...for just this reason.

If you don't test the beta, there's no chance of catching problems like this before the final release. :(

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Looks like the last update to the Finnish translation did not make it to 3.0 after all...

Sorry about that! I'm not sure how that happened. Anyway, send me the new updates once you get them done, and I'll be sure they get into 3.0.1.

Peter

• Pete

Pete - 2013-09-25

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Well, not sure if it is the same issue, but I tried installing on Win7. The proces went into eternity loop at the 7/8 step. But I suspect, that it could be because of the machine's security settings, which I have no control over. I found no traces of the installation afterwards. On WinXP worked fine.

Sorry about that! I'm not sure how that happened.

At least you used the first one I posted, which already is a big improvement to those who use it :)

• Harald G

Harald G - 2013-09-25

Pete, the installation issues with Win 7 have been seen with every version after 2.8.1.
    It seems 50% of the potential Win (7) users see this.
    It doesn´t hurt but feels "ugly", - especially when this is a first time contact.
    But AoI will usually work anyway.

• John_S

John_S - 2013-09-25

Creating an ArtOfIllusion3 directory and installing to the new directory fixed this problem.

Last edit: John_S 2013-09-25
  • Pete

Pete - 2013-09-28

Well, I annoyed people badly some time ago with my strong opinions about the view manipulation and it seems that I'll eventually end up doing that again, so I figure I could as well get started....

I just noticed, that all the views are now forced into turntable mode... Turn table is a good option for certain type of work and probably a good way to get started but it being the only option, it is in no way suitable for serious 3D work. -- And there are a lot of other shortcomings, that I have compalained about before. (For example that when I'm, working on a detail the model disappears into the space with the smallest turn of the view....)

So, I decided that I'd give it a try: I'll try to put together a view manipulation plugin, that at least tames down the behaviour and hopefully in time also provides some options and even some level of automation.

And now my first question: what parts of the camera class should I look at to understand the current behaviour? (There's a lot of code in there) ((And if I ever get started, I'll open a new thread in the Developers section))

-P-

Last edit: Pete 2013-09-28
  • Luke S

Luke S - 2013-09-29

Still not quite what you are looking for? =)

To answer your question:

• The information you are looking for is not in the camera class. You want to look at RotateViewTool and MoveViewTool. Your plugin will probably want to replace these.
    • The Rotate Tool relies on a method getRotationCenter() from the ViewerCanvas class. What this returns can vary based on what type of ViewerCanvas (different types for Scenes, various meshes, other types of objects.) you are using, what in the scene/model is selected, etc.
    • Once you have a tool that meets your needs (or just needs to be tested) Your plugin should get hold of all the the views in the current layout window, and call setAltTool() and setMetaTool() on them if you want to trap <Ctrl> and <Alt> drags, the way the current view tools do. Otherwise, you will need to add your tool(s) to the toolpalette so that they can be accessed easily.

As an alternative:

• You might find out that what you really want is a more advanced way to adjust the rotation center. (see above) This is a whole different can of worms that I don't feel like looking at right this moment, though on reflection, I think that this is likely where you are headed.

• Nik Trevallyn-Jones

Hi Pete,

I tried to implement some of the features you wanted in the HIDPlugin (for the 3D mouse).

You can find the code I wrote in the HIDPlugin source.
    I will look later to see if the HIDPlugin source is in SourceForge. If not, I will post it up there in a few days.

I am really busy until about Wednesday next week, but I am happy to discuss code, the plugin, and methods for implementing your features; and maybe even help you implement some pats of the code. :o)

Cheers!
    Nik

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks