Menu

Boolean Object not "detected as' until restart AoI?

Patrick
2016-02-19
2016-04-03
  • Patrick

Patrick - 2016-02-19

Hello again,

I'm using AoI to create the mechanical schematics for a water block for a Raspberry Pi. Naturally, I use the boolean modeling tool because its much easier for me to copy/paste similar objects and use them as "punchouts" for screw holes, locking mechanisms and whatnot.

However, I've noticed that if I use the Boolean tool to create a boolean object, even if its an intersection of first/third, it shows as a "union".

That is, until I save the project and restart AoI.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is this an inherent flaw in AoI?

• Pete

Pete - 2016-02-20

Hmm???

As it happens, I was just going to write a story about using booleans in AoI... My piece has over 70 operations in it... And the AoI boolean was working practically flawlessly to me. I'm expecting to have that piece in my hands later today. -- And, I'll explain what I mean by 'practically' after I have that piece in my hands...

So @Patrick:
    1) I don't know what you mean by 'first/third'?
    2) Could you post a file, where you have that problem? I mean so that we could reproduce your problem?

And BTW ... for some reason AoI does not hide or remove parents of a boolean... I keep stumbling into that sometimes.. :/

Last edit: Pete 2016-02-20
  • chris w

chris w - 2016-04-03

re : Boolean tool :

it is useful to use the "join objects" script to produce an object with less
    or even in one operation. Convert the resultant boolean to a triangle mesh
    and hide the parent objects. Use extended memory if possible and
    always save work before applying the boolean tool, and allow some time
    for the tool to work.