How about a forum topic for aoi works?

2015-10-09
2015-10-29
  • Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2015-10-09

There's no real place in the forums to post your work. How about using one topic stream like this one? In replies to this topic, anyone could post images, textures, scripts or anything they've been working on. I also think it might create a boost in AoI awareness.

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2015-10-09

I'll start it off. Here's an image I've done recently. sunflare was done in post. AoI version 3.02.

Last edit: Nathan Ryan 2015-10-09
  • Luke S

Luke S - 2015-10-10

Good job with this fellow, I like him. I'd like to see a better space for stuff like this as well. Might work better if there was another subforum just for this, where there would be a variety of threads.

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2015-10-10

I think a subforum is a good idea too.

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2015-10-10

I can do that. What shall I call the forum?

Peter

• Nathan Ryan

Nathan Ryan - 2015-10-10

Output by Users? Creative Output? Artistic Creations? Images by Users? Or any combination of these. Or something else entirely.

• Luke S

Luke S - 2015-10-11
    • "User Projects and Artwork"
    • "Community Creations"

I like the idea of trying to encourage sharing of textures, especially those that are a bit more advanced & customizable. I do think, though, that users' scripts are a good fit for the existing scripting forum.

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2015-10-15

It's definitely true that friendlyskies has been filling this role. Would having a similar forum here be good (increased visibility) or bad (splitting the function between two sites)?

Peter

• Kevin D.

Kevin D. - 2015-10-15

The desire is to see the community grow. Having two forums that serve the same purpose may split the community. Who actually runs Friendlyskies? Is there anything that could be done to make it the official AOI community website? If artofillusion.org undergoes some visual changes, maybe similar changes could be made to Friendlyskies to make the two appear as a cohesive package.

• Luke S

Luke S - 2015-10-17

@Kevin: First off, Friendlyskies.net is run by Marc Carson, and is his personal domain. He uses the namespace for his blog, galleries of various projects, &tc. The forums there are just a small part of the site.

I certainly don't want to harm the FS community, so the effects of any decision should be considered. I would say, though, that the community is already split. Some join friendlyskies, which is great for sharing projects back and forth and trading hints about modeling and rendering. However, when those people need tech help w/AOI, I often end up directing them over here. Others only ever see the SF forums, and either never share, or end up posting their images in places that are not a good fit for lack of options. Even those who doo find both forums then need to maintain two id/password combos to participate fully in the AOI community.

Perhaps the solution is promoting FS and SF forums a little more prominently for their intended purposes on artofillusion.org, and other places. Perhaps to be addressed in the site design discussion now underway.

• Pete

Pete - 2015-10-24

Coming to think of it, this field has always been pretty fragmented from the users' point of view.

There's the artofillusion.org-homepage, the SourceForge forum, the FriendlySkies aoiforum and there used to be the AoI-Wiki pages and for a while there was somethiong called AoI-Portal... And then there is the Pootle-site for translations. (I just realized that the pootle is still there http://pootle.locamotion.org/projects/aoi/ and there seems to be a complete Catalan translation that has not made it to the compiled code yet.)

The wiki was actually quite handy for making tutorials. As I recall there was a directory or content page, which made it much easier to read than a 'Tutorials'-forum. And in the earlier days SourceForce was not very handy with pictures, which is why I liked to bring even the technical stuff to FS rather than SF though at the time it seemed quite clear that FS was (basically) focused on the art and using the software and SF was more about the development.

But things have been changing. The Wiki is gone, the Portal is gone and as actiivity on the FS-forum has dropped, Marc changed the rules so, that any kind of art is welcomed there. (Sadly there has not been noticeable increase in activity.)

In principle it sounds like a good idea to collect all the bits and pieces into one place. -- Certainly that would make things much clearer to users (especially new users), but honestly, I have no idea what would be the right way (or at least a good way) of doing it.

EDIT: About the Pootle.

Last edit: Pete 2015-10-24
  • Luke S

Luke S - 2015-10-27

I keep hearing about the houspixels wiki. It went down right about the time that I got involved in the AOI comunity. (Coincidence, I swear!)

On thing that has changed, that we have not taken advantage of yet, is that sourcforge is now running the allura platform, which has built in Wiki capabilities. (There is a baby wiki right at the top of the page here- only an intro page and a couple of developer notes so far.)

This should be relatively simple to integrate with the (Hopefully coming) new site design, as it has a web API. Another advantage to using SF infrastructure for more critical bits is that we don't have to worry about someone else's site closing underneath our feet.

FriendlySkies is a bit of a walled garden, I believe by design. Marc is currently managing the spam issue by only accepting email submissions for new memberships, which means that those who do sign up are intending to stick around. (More commited before they start) looks a bit like less of a venue for support request posts, but they sort of belong here anyway.

Pootle... Hmm, looks interesting, but they are running on old files. The Catalan Translation was last touched in 2010, and the AOI core files have definitely changed since then. Does anyone know if any of the SF forum regulars were involved over there?

Last edit: Luke S 2015-10-27
  • Pete

Pete - 2015-10-27

Pootle... Hmm, looks interesting, but they are running on old files

I was originally completing and correting the Finnish translation at Pootle, but those fixes were never used and I think Pootle was officially abandoned at some point. The translation that is currently in use is a newer one that I sent directly to Peter. Not sure if it's quite up to date any more either but at least closer. -- I'm not sure how many of those who wrote in Pootle have ever appeared here.

(OOT: Making translations is not always that simple, as often the closest or most common translation to a word means something else than the original word in the given context. -- Take for example "Scene". What has ended up in the translaton is "Kohtaus", which is Finnis refers to a sequence of events in a movie or a theatrical piece rather than the environment, where the events may take place. ... I was considering of using a word that means the props on a stage, but I guess that would have been confusing as well -- Maybe I'll change it into "Stage", = "Näyttämö" in the future. The etymology of näyttämö is 'a place where things are shown / put on display').

Last edit: Pete 2015-10-27
  • Luke S

Luke S - 2015-10-27

I hear you regarding translations. In the context of AOI I might define "Scene" as Objects in their environment, and their actions Therein. The etymology of "Näyttämö" sounds about right, but remember that "Scene" in english is a bit overloaded/has has some very specific connotations in this context that are missing from the general meaning of the word.

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2015-10-29

Interesting, I never really thought about that before. "Scene" can mean either a location and the objects it contains (scenery, the scene of a crime), or a sequence of events (a scene in a play). And of course, a scene file may represent either of both of those!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks