Small bugs/fixes thread

• Patrick

Patrick - 2014-04-22

I just decided to make a specific thread for people to post their ideas and bugs they've found with Art of Illusion in order to make it even better!

Some I have noticed:

1. From what I can tell, there is no actual "Create Circle/Ellipse Curve" tool. I feel this would be a very good thing to have.

2. A minor bug, where the mouse-over text is hidden by the modeling windows. I have been told that this is actually a core bug (the way the entire program GUI is rendered), but its just something small.

3. As always, a good physics plugin is in order...

• Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2014-04-24
    1. Use the Create Polygon tool for this. Set it to have a reasonable number of sides (8 is a good number), and set the shape to approximating.

2. I've never been able to figure out a completely satisfactory way around this. But it only happens until the first time you select a pull-down menu, and then they start working correctly. It has to do with a bizarre side effect of how Swing is written.

3. Yes, that would be nice. :)

• Luke S

Luke S - 2014-04-27

When the edit window is set to "Textured," front and back faces are reversed. Only really noticeable if you have different textures assigned to front and back faces. For details and example, see Bug# 476.

(Side Point)
    I've also noted that a lot of the entries in the bug report system are old. (Some more than 10 years) I can't imagine that all that many of them are still issues - either they were fixed long ago, or the system has changed so much that they are no longer an issue. Would there be any useful purpose served by making a project of going through all of these to see if they are still bugs, or would it be better to assume that anything over a certain age is no longer an issue, close it, and trust that it would be reported again if it crops up for another user?

Also, @Peter, if I find a solution for a bug listed in the tracker, should I post in the bug entry, or should I start a discussion thread here?

Last edit: Luke S 2014-04-27
  • Patrick

Patrick - 2014-04-27

Another thing that isn't exactly a bug, just a "fact of life":

When a Java application freezes, it halts completely, but it doesn't say so. In fact, it still takes keypresses and mouse input while locked up, so when (if) it unfreezes, all of that stored information will be processed at once and completely screw with your program. I've lost many a good scene in AoI this way.

• Olaf Lampe

Olaf Lampe - 2014-05-14

I'm just a ( spoiled by solidWorks (TM) ) AoI-newbie, but I'm missing a " mirror" function to mirror all kinds of objects and even certain moves in the Animation-track Editor would be easier with a mirror function. But it's not a bug, so maybe I'm in the wrong thread...

• Olaf Lampe

Olaf Lampe - 2014-05-16

It seems, I stumbled across a bug....
    I try to do a simple boolean "Union" operation with two boxes.
    I'm using "snap to grid" to ensure both boxes are connected at a certain surface.
    I try to start the boolean modelling, but nothing happens. The dialogbox doesn't open.

OK, next try: I don't use "snap to grid" anymore and move one box a fraction into the other box, so they are overlapping a bit.
    Now I can start the boolean modeller and choose " Union". I get a boolean object; clear the two boxes from the list and it seems to be OK.
    BUT, when I try to export this object into .stl format, I get a few Errors:

Boolean 1:
    validate: number of faces (207) is not even
    validate: number of edges (323) is not a multiple of 3
    validate: number of faces (207) is not 2/3 the number of edges (323)

( This is the errorlist from a bit more complex object, but the errors are more or less the same )

I don't get these errors, when I export the objects BEFORE the boolean operation..even when they are overlapping.

To me it seems, it's a result of the overlapping surfaces, that are needed for the boolean modeller?

BTW I'm using AoI 3.0 on a Win7 PC

<edit> If I remember correctly, I have seen errors in the position of an object, when I use "snap to grid". Suddenly a value ( that should be zero ) changes to 0.1E-16 or the like ( very small values)

last edit < with boxes I meant cubes ...

Last edit: Olaf Lampe 2014-05-16
  • Peter Eastman

Peter Eastman - 2014-05-16

Could you post your scene file?

• Olaf Lampe

Olaf Lampe - 2014-05-16

Sure, here it comes :D

• Olaf Lampe

Olaf Lampe - 2014-05-18

I think, I found the reason for the stl-export errors:

edit: false Alarm...sorry

What exactly does a boolean Union do? I thought, it would merge the touching surfaces of two objects into one? But in my test 2 sample it seems not?!

Last edit: Olaf Lampe 2014-05-18
  • Olaf Lampe

Olaf Lampe - 2014-05-19

Now I think, I found the reason for the Export Errors:
    Everytime I make a boolean "second-first" object, I get errors afterwards.
    When I change the object position in the object list and make a " first-second" boolean object, there are no errors! Although, the result is the same.

Unfortunately, I'm a lazy Person...when I have to do several boolean operations, the new boolean object appears at the lowest position in the object list. It's tempting to do it the easy way and make the next boolean operation as "second-first", since I only have to select the two lowest objects in the list.

At least, I'm glad I've found a workaround and hope, you can eliminate the error soon..( Wether it's a problem with the stl-export plugin or the boolean modeller )

• Olaf Lampe

Olaf Lampe - 2014-05-19

Still getting errors, when an object is placed "at the wrong place" of a boolean object and I try to do a "first-second" operation.
    Check out the attachment: try to build the difference12 of the two objects and export it to .stl
    This time, the reason is, that the object is crossing the border of two objects I "unified" earlier .

• Olaf Lampe

Olaf Lampe - 2014-05-23

Peter, any comments about my 'problems' ?