JOGL upgrade test build

Luke S
2016-08-26
2016-08-28
  • Luke S

Luke S - 2016-08-26

Over the last couple of evenings, I've updated the version of JOGL that AOI uses.

The results are here as a test build. If you're up to taking chances, please try it out and try to break the interactive rendering. Make sure that you go into settings and enable OpenGL first. This test build is cross-platform. You shouldn't have to worry about your OS or whether you are running 32 or 64 bit java.

Last edit: Luke S 2016-08-26
  • Luke S

Luke S - 2016-08-26

For those who are interested in the technical details:

This didn't take all that much in the way of changes. The jogamp libraries have had some internal refactoring since 1.1.1, and with the wide array of OpenGL profiles, some of which are mutually exclusinve. Therefor, not everything fits in a single interface any more.

Mostly, I had to update references to JOGL internal classes to reflect their new locations in the package structure. All changes were in the file artofillusion.view.GLCanvasDrawer.java, except for one line in artofillusion.ViewerCanvas.java, which is used to tell if JOGL is available.

The GLCanvasDrawer is still using the (dated) Fixed Function Pipeline, and GLSL 1 for some limited shader capacity. Re-writing to use modern Shader Pipeline etc. would be a larger process. This does mean that for the most part, this code will run on top of a set of software emulation shaders, but that has been true of the old library as well.

Jogamp 2.3.2 has facilities for detecting what platform and OS the current JVM is running on. This means that you don't need to manually install the correct native libraries. Instead you include a specially labeled JAR for each platform that you wish to support, and gluegen extracts the library from it at runtime. I've included i586 and amd64 support for Windows and Linux, as well as the os-x universal platform. Other available platforms are Solaris and Android, as well as two ARM instruction set variations for Linux, if anyone needs them.

• Pete

Pete - 2016-08-28

If you're up to taking chances, please try it out and try to break the interactive rendering.

My first impressions are, that views are up about ten times faster than before. If it really were possible to break the IAR, then if somebody actually could have it happen, he/she probably would't dare to report....

• Luke S

Luke S - 2016-08-28

Ummm... 10 times faster? Wow. Not what I expected. Perhaps I should make clear:

I'm not talking about the (raytraced) "Rendered" mode. I mean wireframe, transparent, etc. with openGL turned on in the preferences menu.

• Pete

Pete - 2016-08-28

Yes, so do I. I was talking about just opening a scene. There used to be some delay and/or some unfinished graphics flashing on the screen maybe for a fraction of a second before the views were drawn but now there is no noticeable delay. I haven't tried it on very large scenes though, but "ten times" or not, so far working fine. :)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks