Total # shared files miscalculated ver 1.2pre

Anonymous
2010-07-09
2013-05-01
  • Anonymous - 2010-07-09

I can't figure it out.  Alliance seems to have successfully added all of the files on the computer to its share.  I can't find any missing.  But Windows reports over 25,000 files in these shared folders while Alliance 1.2.0 Pre reports only 22,900.

But, as I said, I can't find any files or folders that I've missed.  Any clue as to what might be causing this?

• Tim

Tim - 2010-07-09

A previous version went crazy over my NAS. It didnt reset the counter when dropping all my shares due to some reason and scanning them again. My GBs bytes went TB.

• Anonymous - 2010-07-09

This happened on a brand new installation, BTW.  I installed 1.2 from scratch and imported my settings.xml from 1.06.  I let it scan my shares overnight, and now it seems to be "missing" around 2-3,000 files.

But again, when I browse my Alliance share locally or from another Alliance client on another computer, I don't seem to be able to find anything missing.

• Bastvera

Bastvera - 2010-07-09

Total counter doesn't count duplicates (View->My Share->Duplicates) and Alliance doesn't hash 0 length, system and hidden files.

• Anonymous - 2010-07-10

Hmmm, that still doesn't account for more than a relatively small percentage of the "missing" files.  Oh well, whatever's not showing up can't be too important if I can't even find it.

• NOTaMango

NOTaMango - 2010-07-31

There also seems to be a 4 Terabyte limit, kinda bumming me out :/

• Anonymous - 2010-10-17

I figured out what's going on.  Alliance 1.2 Pre seems to be randomly skipping files in shared directories.  For instance, I have my music as FLAC files in a single folder per album.  Alliance will scan some of the tracks but just skip others.  The odd thing is that I can completely remove the album from the shared folder, rescan, then put it back and rescan again, and Alliance will skip the SAME files.  These files are not corrupt.  They play fine.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with them.  As I said: it seems random as to which files Alliance skips.  There are certain files it just won't index no matter what i do.

I'll try going back to the 1.1 Beta and see if that fixes it.  At least now I know why Alliance is misreporting my share size.

• Anonymous - 2010-10-17

Damn, The beta version crashes whenever I try to load my settings.xml into it.  Guess I won't be trying that.

• Anonymous - 2010-10-18

Got a bit more info.

If I remove the folder, rescan, and then replace the folder and rescan again, it will still skip the files. If I have Alliance completely rebuild the entire database - scan ALL of my shares again from scratch after manually deleting the database files - it scans everything in normally.

Here's what I *think* is going on: I've been copying new subfolders into shared folders over the local wireless network, as in adding new albums to parent directories like "rock and pop".  As the files are still in the process of being transferred, Alliance will attempt to index the incomplete file, it errors out during this process, and marks the file as bad in the Alliance index, which is why it won't scan it in unless the db is deleted.

This is just a guess, but it makes sense to me.  When moving files over the network, I'll try sending them to a temp folder on the computer Alliance is installed on that is not indexed before then moving the files to the shared directories with a disk-to-disk transfer.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks