Need help establishing network with two other

Bob
2009-06-05
2013-05-01
  • Bob

Bob - 2009-06-05

Thanks in advance for your help,
      Three of us ran a Waste network succesfully for over a year.  Due to personal commitments we let it languish for a year and have been trying to re-establish the same thing with Alliance with no success.
    We couldn't get Waste to work and have moved to Alliance only to encounter the same problems.  I have a static IP and have forwarded the required port (3042).  The various services see the port as open and it's opened in my software firewall (Zone Alarm).  The other two have forwarded the port, and we've exchanged the number generated by Alliance when asking someone to join the network.
       I spent several evenings reading the old posts in this forum but they where of little help since they got very technical very quickly.  While we are all educated, none of us are programmers or IT folks and could use a bit of handholding here.  We're puzzled as to why we where able to establish a Waste network so easily two years ago but cannot do so now, even with the newer software (Alliance).  Could I impose on someone to try and connect to me and help us with this?  You're help would be appreciated.
      Thanks,
       A somewhat puzzled Bob.

• DeathfireD

DeathfireD - 2009-06-06

First off what version of alliance are you using? 1.0.6 or the beta v1.0.7 beta 7 (found here https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=3289176&forum_id=568436 )?

If your using v1.0.6 then I suggest trying v1.0.7 beta 7 because we fixed a lot of bugs and issues in it.

Be sure that all your friends have the correct port open. Each of your friend's clients will most likely use a different port so make sure they forward whatever one their Alliance tells them to (found in view>options).

Also keep in mind by default, the new alliance's buddy codes only work once. So if you generate a code and pass it to a friend then you will have to generate a new buddy code for another friend. If you wish to change this so your code works for as long as you want it too then go to view>options>Security&system tray and uncheck the "connection codes I create my only be used once". Then hit apply and go generate a new buddy code.

Are you guys on a lan or no?

• Bob

Bob - 2009-06-06

Thanks again,
        No, we're scattered all over the globe and using 1.06.
        We thought it was necessary that all of us use the same port but you're saying that it's not?
        We realized that the buddy codes are a one shot deal.
        I'll have the other gents upgrade to the latest beta (1.07) and see what happens.  I'll
      let you know what success we have and of course, thanks muchly for the help.
         Bob.

• Bob

Bob - 2009-06-06

I've installed the beta (1.07), instructed my friends to do the same, and sent them their
      buddy codes.
      One question I have is in 'options', 'advanced', 'server - experimental settings' it asks for
      your (my) DNS settings.  Should I enter  the static IP I get from no-ip.org?  (ie: buggy.no-ip.org)
      I use this free service and have the little utility running that redirects my address
      (No-IP DUC V2.2.1)

A slightly less puzzled Bob

• DeathfireD

DeathfireD - 2009-06-07

If you have a no-ip address simply type it in there (ie. myaddress.no-ip.org), press apply, and restart alliance. This feature will pass around your DNS address to your friends once you connect to them. This way if your IP changes in the future, your friends client will use your DNS in staid to connect to you. If you don't have a DNS address then just ignore that box.

Make sure all your friends port forward whatever port their Alliance client tells them too. All their ports will most likely be different but you don't need to worry about this. Just make sure you forward the port your client tells you to.

So your all using v1.0.7 beta 7 right?

• Bob

Bob - 2009-06-12

Hi again,
          When using the port check tool from Portworward.com, it shows that my UDP port (3042 on my installation) is open but that TCP is not open.  I shut down Zone Alarm but that made no difference.  When Alliance is running the port check tool says that "That port cannot be tested as some application has it locked".  When Alliance is shut down, the tool can check the port but it shows as closed or unreachable.
      When trying to forward that protocol (TCP) in my modem (or even verify it) I get a dialogue saying that "That port is in use by a service".  I'm assuming that this means that Upnp has forwarded it through Alliance.
      Then why does the port check tool show it as closed.  Could my ISP be blocking this particular port?
      Is there a way I can check?
         Thanks again for your help.
           Bob (still a bit confused)

• DeathfireD

DeathfireD - 2009-06-12

Do you have bittorrent or some other program running on the same port as Alliance? If so this is the problem. No two programs can use the same port. To solve this either change the port that the conflicting program is using (ie. change Bittorrent's port) or manually change Alliance's by going into the xml file found in the Alliance data folder and editing the port value. Your best bet is to just delete alliance and start over again. This type of problem that you described almost always happens when people edit the port in the Alliance xml. This is the reason why we don't have an edit option in Alliance's settings. People shouldn't be messing with the port.

Second, UDP is not used so you have to forward whatever the TCP port is or else Alliance will continue to throw back those "Alliance could not create a buddy code because this port is being used or blocked bla bla bla".

I doubt your ISP has anything to do with this.

Hope that helps.

• Bob

Bob - 2009-06-12

Again, I can't thank you folks enough for taking the time to help us with this problem.  We'd given up on Waste because of the lack of support.
        Anyway....
           I only have Emule ( a P2P program ) running and it's on totally different ports (I was aware of the fact that only one application can use a port at a time).   I didn't play around with the port in Alliance. I'll try deleting and reinstalling Alliance and see what happens.  Could there be a problem due to the fact that I've designated a static IP in my computer (sorry if the terminology is wrong)?  I configured the DHCP to designate my internal IP as 192.168.2.250   (I share a modem with my wife's computer (running Ubuntu).
      When Upnp forwards the port, is it smart enough to forward the port to this IP?
         Bob

• DeathfireD

DeathfireD - 2009-06-13

Having your router assign a static IP shouldn't cause any problems. However people have had issues in the past where UPnP didn't work with Alliance.

Try to go here http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and type in the port that your Alliance is listening on. To find the port go to view>options and look at server information (port). That web site will check to see if the port is properly open. If it doesn't show "Success" then UPnP is not opening the port correctly. Try manually opening the TCP/IP port.

• Bob

Bob - 2009-06-16

Success!
         We have finally connected and files are moving nicely.  A few problems/questions remain....
      1) My friends can't see each others stuff...
      2) Is there a way we can send files to each other with no work on their part?
      3) Is there a way to re-hash shared directories without restarting Alliance?
         Thanks!
        Bob (still a bit confused but...who cares!...it works!)

• DeathfireD

DeathfireD - 2009-06-16

1) Did your friends set group names on the folders that they're sharing? If so that's probably why. Just have them remove the group name from the folder. You can do this by pressing the "add files to share" then clicking on the folder and pressing "edit group name". Then just remove the name.

So in short, when adding new folders you can leave that input box blank. By leaving it blank you allow any of your friends to view the contents.

If this doesn't solve the problem then it's most likely because they did not port forward the right port.

2) You cant send files to friends but they can download files from you. However you can right mouse click on one of your files and send a direct link to that file into the public chat so people don't have to look for the file.

3) Yes, press the blue refresh icon on the bottom right of the client. Keep in mind Alliance should auto hash every half hour or more (note: it only hashes the new files). Alliance also hashes any newly downloaded files instantly.

• Bob

Bob - 2009-06-16

I do leave the box blank but I couldn't find any reference to 'group names'. I'm using the latest version
      of Alliance.
        I found the rehash button and in the associated box it does indicate the correct amount of shared stuff (266 GB), however it still only shows the original amount (1.51GB) beside my name up in the 'My network' box.
         Overall things seem to be working well.  I understand that the program still has plenty of rough edges which are being worked on.  I'll consider this subject closed and move any comments to a new thread.
      Thanks for your help.
        Bob, Andy and Gerry (and a few others who may join)