Menu

Macros

Help
2007-06-06
2012-07-19
  • learnhownow

learnhownow - 2007-06-06

I am using the latest version of AllChar 4.0.270, running XP Pro and am unable to use any of the macros. The other features work fine,
    but using cont/ (macroname) just types in the macroname rather than the output. I have tried using both forward and backward slashes with and without a space after the control key, and have tried creating a new macro as well. Changing the timeout for the macros does not solve the problem. A second issue is, pressing the help button on the help screen after selection of the screen by a right click on the icon does nothing. I am able to access the html help file by going to the AllChar folder.
    Thanks for the help.
    lhn

• Joachim Breuer

Joachim Breuer - 2007-06-06

Please try typing the macro sequence without the HotKey first.

Jeroen:
      What is the intended behaviour of the macros? To me it seems that macros are executed just by '/<macroname>' (or whichever macro start character is set); without pressing the compose hotkey first.

With *ix-Feelalike enabled macro processing cannot (currently) happen while composing is active.

• Joachim Breuer

Joachim Breuer - 2007-06-06

The 'Help' button on the help page works as intended: It returns the help dialog display to the general help text when a character table was shown (using the 'Char Table' button).

Currently, there is no functionality in AllChars to display the HTML manual page from within AllChars.

• learnhownow

learnhownow - 2007-06-06

I understand the button now. Perhaps a macro to access the .html help file might be created?
        lhn

• learnhownow

learnhownow - 2007-06-06

If you mean not typing "/" first, that does not work. Neither does not typing "control" first. I also tried changing the hot key to escape, but the same behavior was shown. Here are the various combinations and their result: /aa aa /aa*
      I have also tried changing the timeout with no change.
      tks
      lhn

• Joachim Breuer

Joachim Breuer - 2007-06-10

I mean not type control first. The hotkey is not considered for macro processing; but macros are not recognized while AllChars is waiting for a compose sequence (i.e., the AllChars icon shows the number '1' or '2' in red). Macros are only recognized when AllChars is idle (i.e., the icon shows the numbers '1' and '2' both in grey).

What is the definition for your macro <aa*>? Please post the relevant line of your allchars.ini (if applicable, remove any private information like passwords, account numbers, ... first!)

If you did not change allchars.ini: In the default configuration there is no macro of that name. Good test macros are '/wwa', '/email' or '/now'.

The default configuration definition "aa=\Y1132F85AFE0A" is for an encrypted macro (which is recognized by starting with '\Y'), where the macro name itself is also encrypted. The 'aa' is only a placeholder in that case.

Hope that helps...

• learnhownow

learnhownow - 2007-06-11

Hi,
          I have TWO .ini files in the AllChar folder. The first is named AllChars.ine and the second is named AllChars.ini.new. The contents of both appear identical, and are posted here:

AllChars.ini
          [Tables]
          Accents=aà 'aá ^aâ ~aã &quot;aä oaå ,cçeè 'eé ^eê "eë iì 'ií ^iî &quot;iï ~nñoò 'oó ^oô ~oõ "oö /oø ^sš uù 'uú ^uû &quot;uü 'yý &quot;yÿ vzžAÀ 'AÁ ^AÂ ~AÃ "AÄ oAÅ ,CÇ EÈ 'EÉ ^EÊ &quot;EËIÌ 'IÍ ^IÎ "IÏ ~NÑ OÒ 'OÓ ^OÔ ~OÕ &quot;OÖ /OØ ^SŠUÙ 'UÚ ^UÛ "UÜ 'YÝ "YŸ vZŽ
          Accents (standalone)=\'´ \^ˆ \~˜ \&quot;¨ \,¸
          Currency symbols=/c¢ =e€ -fƒ -L£ =Y¥ cc¢ ee€ ffƒ LL£ YY¥ |c¢ 55€
          Copyright etc.=TM™ OC© OR® cr© rm®
          .Deadkeys=àà 'áá ^ââ ~ãã &quot;ääèè 'éé ^êê "ëë ìì 'íí ^îî &quot;ïï ~ññòò 'óó ^ôô ~õõ "öö ^šš ùù 'úú ^ûû &quot;üü 'ýý &quot;ÿÿÀÀ 'ÁÁ ^ÂÂ ~ÃÃ "ÄÄ ÈÈ 'ÉÉ ^ÊÊ &quot;ËËÌÌ 'ÍÍ ^ÎÎ "ÏÏ ~ÑÑ ÒÒ 'ÓÓ ^ÔÔ ~ÕÕ &quot;ÖÖ ^ŠŠÙÙ 'ÚÚ ^ÛÛ "ÜÜ 'ÝÝ "ŸŸ
          Fractions=/4¼ /2½ /3¾ 14¼ 12½ 34¾
          Ligatures=AEÆ aeæ ssß OEŒ oeœ
          Lines and Dots=s-­ n-– m-— ^_¯ -,¬ *.• ..· 2-– 3-—
          Math=xx× :-÷ %0‰ +-± ,uµ dg° muµ %%‰
          Punctuation marks=sp ^!¡ ^?¿ 3.… !!¡ ??¿
          Quotation marks=.,‚ .`‘ .'’ ,,„ ``“ ''” .<‹ .>› <<« >>»
          Runic (Old English)=|DÞ |dþ -DÐ -dð bpÞ |oþ
          Superscripts=.aª .oº .0° .1¹ .2² .3³
          Miscellaneous=os§ q|¶ +|† ++‡ xo¤ ||¦ pp§

[Configuration]
          TrySwapped=1
          TryToggleCase=1
          UseBeeps=1
          TranslDecPoint=0
          UseSpeaker=1
          SendUndefined=1
          HideTaskbarIcon=0
          HotKey=17
          MacroKey=/
          MacroTimeOut=500
          xxxMacroDelay=200
          UnixSemantics=0

[Macros]
          aa=\Y1132F85AFE0A
          aaa=\xAAA
          aaaa=AAAA
          ab=\Y53F43A1B3EC84ADE32D258D574BD
          email=Hi ,\n\n\n\nGreetings\nJeroen\n\u\u\u\u\u\u\e\l
          jeroen=dsdsd
          now=\w(d-mmmm-yyyy)
          pp=\Y88B846EF21FB
          pw=\xjl\n
          secret=\Y1124E026DA929A7CEF105CC34AE559EC3213EB3DF603
          tt=\Y4AFF0910C76DA79E9DAC908C9F80A4
          wwa=http://allchars.polder.net
          xxx=cscscsdcsdcsdc
          yest=\w(dddddd|-1)

AllChars.ini.new
          [Tables]
          Accents=aà 'aá ^aâ ~aã &quot;aä oaå ,cçeè 'eé ^eê "eë iì 'ií ^iî &quot;iï ~nñoò 'oó ^oô ~oõ "oö /oø ^sš uù 'uú ^uû &quot;uü 'yý &quot;yÿ vzžAÀ 'AÁ ^AÂ ~AÃ "AÄ oAÅ ,CÇ EÈ 'EÉ ^EÊ &quot;EËIÌ 'IÍ ^IÎ "IÏ ~NÑ OÒ 'OÓ ^OÔ ~OÕ &quot;OÖ /OØ ^SŠUÙ 'UÚ ^UÛ "UÜ 'YÝ "YŸ vZŽ
          Accents (standalone)=\'´ \^ˆ \~˜ \&quot;¨ \,¸
          Currency symbols=/c¢ =e€ -fƒ -L£ =Y¥ cc¢ ee€ ffƒ LL£ YY¥ |c¢ 55€
          Copyright etc.=TM™ OC© OR® cr© rm®
          .Deadkeys=àà 'áá ^ââ ~ãã &quot;ääèè 'éé ^êê "ëë ìì 'íí ^îî &quot;ïï ~ññòò 'óó ^ôô ~õõ "öö ^šš ùù 'úú ^ûû &quot;üü 'ýý &quot;ÿÿÀÀ 'ÁÁ ^ÂÂ ~ÃÃ "ÄÄ ÈÈ 'ÉÉ ^ÊÊ &quot;ËËÌÌ 'ÍÍ ^ÎÎ "ÏÏ ~ÑÑ ÒÒ 'ÓÓ ^ÔÔ ~ÕÕ &quot;ÖÖ ^ŠŠÙÙ 'ÚÚ ^ÛÛ "ÜÜ 'ÝÝ "ŸŸ
          Fractions=/4¼ /2½ /3¾ 14¼ 12½ 34¾
          Ligatures=AEÆ aeæ ssß OEŒ oeœ
          Lines and Dots=s-­ n-– m-— ^_¯ -,¬ *.• ..· 2-– 3-—
          Math=xx× :-÷ %0‰ +-± ,uµ dg° muµ %%‰
          Punctuation marks=sp ^!¡ ^?¿ 3.… !!¡ ??¿
          Quotation marks=.,‚ .`‘ .'’ ,,„ ``“ ''” .<‹ .>› <<« >>»
          Runic (Old English)=|DÞ |dþ -DÐ -dð bpÞ |oþ
          Superscripts=.aª .oº .0° .1¹ .2² .3³
          Miscellaneous=os§ q|¶ +|† ++‡ xo¤ ||¦ pp§

[Configuration]
          TrySwapped=1
          TryToggleCase=1
          UseBeeps=1
          TranslDecPoint=0
          UseSpeaker=1
          SendUndefined=1
          HideTaskbarIcon=0
          HotKey=17
          MacroKey=/
          MacroTimeOut=500
          xxxMacroDelay=200
          UnixSemantics=0

[Macros]
          aa=\Y1132F85AFE0A
          aaa=\xAAA
          aaaa=AAAA
          ab=\Y53F43A1B3EC84ADE32D258D574BD
          email=Hi ,\n\n\n\nGreetings\nJeroen\n\u\u\u\u\u\u\e\l
          jeroen=dsdsd
          now=\w(d-mmmm-yyyy)
          pp=\Y88B846EF21FB
          pw=\xjl\n
          secret=\Y1124E026DA929A7CEF105CC34AE559EC3213EB3DF603
          tt=\Y4AFF0910C76DA79E9DAC908C9F80A4
          wwa=http://allchars.polder.net
          xxx=cscscsdcsdcsdc
          yest=\w(dddddd|-1)

"As you may note, both contain the macro 'aa'."

'aa' was not typed. I don't remember why I identified it as aa in previous posts rather that 'aa'.
          The reason there are two files (I believe) is because I first downloaded and installed the 4.0.273 Beta which refused to function, and then downloaded and installed the 3.x program. I did this following the email advice of Jeroen.
          None of the macros work, including any that I write. When I type the / key without the control key, no macro is launched and no change appears in the icon colors. When I type the control key followed by the / key, the first icon changes to red but the second does not. No macro is launched.
          Possibly I need to uninstall the whole program and start over?
          If so, which version would you recommend using?
          Thanks for your help.

• Joachim Breuer

Joachim Breuer - 2007-06-11

Sorry for the confusion: these files do not contain a macro named 'aa'.

The entry 'aa=\Y1132F85AFE0A' is a placeholder for an encryted macro which is not named 'aa'. I know it is a bit confusing, future versions will have a different representation of macros which should alleviate this issue.

Please try typing (reasonably fast) '/wwa', without typing the hotkey (Control) first.
            If the macro characters are typed slower than <MacroTimeOut> (500ms, i.e. half a second, by default) no macro processing will occur.

The AllChars icon will not change in any way while you type the macro sequence.

What will happen in the software you are typing in is:

[Type some text]
            Text in editor: bla bla

[Type '/']
            Text in editor: bla bla /

[Type 'w']
            Text in editor: bla bla /w

[Type 'w']
            Text in editor: bla bla /ww

[Type 'a'; the '/wwa' is deleted and replaced by the macro contents:]
            Text in editor: bla bla http://allchars.polder.net

The two .ini files are normal as well; allchars.ini is the one used by the program (and is left alone during program updates), allchars.ini.new is the default configuration of the AllChars version which was most recently installed (to give you an example allchars.ini for the new version when upgrading).

• learnhownow

learnhownow - 2007-06-11

Oh damn damn damn...
              I have been using Notepad to test these macros. They work fine in WordPad or MS Word. Good Grief!

• Joachim Breuer

Joachim Breuer - 2007-06-13

Hm... now it gets really funny.

I'm using Notepad all the time to test AllChars... works fine here.

My Notepad says (Help -> About) it is 'Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254 : Service Pack 2)'; running on XP SP2.

Could you please post your Notepad version?

• learnhownow

learnhownow - 2007-06-18

17-June-2007
                  Problem solved, Joachim!
                  The difficulty was with the settings for the timeouts. I increased them to two seconds, and now Notepad works too. Very strange, huh?

Next problem:
                  I wrote a macro with my name, address, and phone number, and it works well except the contact information indents one space on the next line below the name line instead of lining up in block fashion. How do I create a space at the beginning of the macro so that everything arranges properly?
                  Thanks so much for your help. This is a fun program!

Dale xxxx
                  xxxx
                  xxxx
                  xxxx

• Joachim Breuer

Joachim Breuer - 2007-06-18

You can always insert a space using its ASCII value; the macro text '\c032te\c032st' will expand to ' te st'.

I have also noticed that one cannot use leading space in SF.net forum postings; I do not know whether there is a workaround.

• learnhownow

learnhownow - 2007-06-18

Tried that...no joy. addition of the c032 string in front of my first name just eliminated the first character of my name. I tried separating it like this \c032 xxxx as well as with no separation, \co32xxxx and the result was the same; elimination of the first character.
                      No big deal, I can live with the indent ;>)
                      Dale

• learnhownow

learnhownow - 2007-06-11

oops, correction: the first is named AllChars.ini, not .ine.

• learnhownow

learnhownow - 2007-06-18

Dale xxxx
      xxxxx
      xxxxx
      xxxxx
      This is the present configuration. Note the spacing change..

• learnhownow

learnhownow - 2007-06-18

hmmm. the message board refuses to show the indent before the three lower lines that is present when typed into the message box.