Norton Virus alert

Help
Venkat
2008-08-23
2013-04-16
  • Venkat

Venkat - 2008-08-23

Hi,
    When I ran Akme, Norton Virus seemed to find a malicious script ffmpeg.hpa.
    Is this a real issue ? Pls. advise what to do ?

thanks,
    Venkat

• Keith Mashinter

Keith Mashinter - 2008-08-23

Norton is over-zealous in their warnings.  An HTA file is an HTML Application which is a Microsoft specific way of running scripting from the local computer but using HTML for layout of the window.  If you trust the source of the scripting, it should be fine. 

My scripting in the ffmpeg.hta file is the programming that prepare all your chosen options and starts audio-video conversion using the underlying ffmpeg.exe tool.  It does no harm (unless you allow it overwrite a destination file that you didn't intent to) and is of no risk to your privacy.

Since HTA files run in the local computer context, they can do many, but not all, things that an EXE can do, including such disasters as silently reformatting your hard drive or trying to capture your credit card information if you run a program with evil intent.

So, you're fine with my program, and hopefully Norton has some option to always allow ffmpeg.hta to run without annoying warnings.

I use HTA since it's easy to add and change features.

You can view the ffmpeg.hta source just by opening it with Notepad.exe and if you know javascript, or know someone who does, you can check for yourself that it does no harm.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks