Reloading page slow or delayed

Nigbo
2012-09-21
2012-11-15
  • Nigbo

Nigbo - 2012-09-21

Ajax Chat to my understanding reloads the page automatically. In my case, this sometimes takes more time than expected. It is often delayed up to a minute or so.

The users (about 20 users online at the same time) type "." to get an immediate update. That helps but does not look nice.
    I found and assume, that you can click on the green/yellow circle on the top right: this seems to do the same job: reloads the page with all contributions in the meantime.

Has anybody knowledge, if this is correct?

Are there any other ways to speed up reloading the page? It sometimes takes minutes to reload for some users.

What determines this?

Herwig N. (Germany)

• Philip Nicolcev

Philip Nicolcev - 2012-10-10

In an older version of ajax-chat, clicking the green circle icon would have refreshed chat. That was a temporary fix I made to resolve the problem you're describing.

In the current version it no longer does anything. The circle simply indicates the status of your page - orange means it is trying to update and red(!) means it is taking too long waiting for a response and is trying again. Basically, instead of you clicking on it to force a retry, it will retry by itself if it turns red.

This happens when the server is taking too long to respond to the HttpRequest() to update the chat. It sounds like you have a slow server or are on a wireless connection with bad signal. It also sounds like you are using an older version of ajax chat.

• Philip Nicolcev

Philip Nicolcev - 2012-10-27

Just to update, i'm looking into this issue again while moving the project to github and it seems I didn't remove the ability to click on the status icon to force an update. It does force an update still, but I will be removing that in the next release because people can bog down the server with refreshing by clicking on it too much.

If you want to speed up the refresh rate of the chat, you should do it in config.js by setting the timerRate option to a lower number. Beware that setting this too low will put stress on the server, so the default is 2000ms(2 seconds).