From: Douglas Held <dheld@mm...> - 2000-04-01 21:42:55
I'm using a linux based bridge loaded up with Freesco
0.2.5 (www.freesco.org), an Aironet PCI 4500 and a rinky-dink SN3200
compatible 10 Mbps NIC card.
I'm having a tough time troubleshooting the source of my problem.
255.255.255.0 DMZ HUB
| | |
+---------+ +----------+ |
|AiroPCI 10BTCard| |
I have set up a test PC as if it were directly connected to the wireless
subnet. No dice.
I am unable to ping the gateway (216.x.135.1) on the wireless subnet from
the test pc. When I dial out to the internet on another pc, I can ping
216.135.x.1, but I can't ping 216.135.x.27.
The bridge, of course, does not have TCP/IP loaded up so I can't ping
anything from there.
Lights *do* flash on the DMZ hub, from both ports.
When I set up the Airo card on an NT machine, my ISP told me to enter a
station ID in the settings for the card. Is there a place where I can
specify this information to airo.c?
Thanks in advance for any help. For now, it looks like I'm back to an NT
proxy server for this coming week's business.
PS: I am a unix newbie, so please spell out in detail any linux hacks I
need to perform. Thanks.
Douglas F. Held
Mountain Marketing Associates
From: Bob Edwards <Robert.Edwards@an...> - 2000-04-02 12:48:44
Douglas Held wrote:
> I'm using a linux based bridge loaded up with Freesco
> 0.2.5 (www.freesco.org), an Aironet PCI 4500 and a rinky-dink SN3200
> compatible 10 Mbps NIC card.
> I'm having a tough time troubleshooting the source of my problem.
> 255.255.255.0 DMZ HUB
> | | |
> +---------+ +----------+ |
> | |
> |AiroPCI 10BTCard| |
> |====(Bridge)=====| |
> Test PC
> I have set up a test PC as if it were directly connected to the wireless
> subnet. No dice.
(Nice piccy). Alas, I'm 99.9% sure that you cannot use an IEE802.11 card
in "promiscuous" mode - required for bridging - so this will _not_ work.
One alternative is to put the PCI-4800 into Access Point mode (and write
all the code to handle all the IEEE802.11 packets).
I have outlined another alternative that seems to be working OK for me,
but it has some overheads. See previous postings.