2002-12-28
  • Ben Cranston

Ben Cranston - 2002-06-26

Here are the stats:
    Stock Redhat 7.3 on HP omnibook laptop
    airo.c driver version 1.5.2 2001/01/22
    aironet 340 card
    aironet firmware 4.25.30

I can run airsnort and I see in /var/log/messages a line about the card going into promiscouous mode, but I do not see any logged beacons or transmissions other than my own.  If I cat the /proc/driver/aironet/eth0/Config I see that it is still in the Mode: ESS and not in monitor mode.  I try to do the echo commands into Config to set rfmon mode, but that does not work either.  A cat of the /proc/driver/aironet/eth0/Status shows mode: 20f for what thats worth.  I'm at a loss.  Should I be expecting to see the mode change in the status or config file?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• Dan Devine

Dan Devine - 2002-06-27

Do you mind me asking how the driver install went?

I've got the cisco set and install script too. I've noticed that it is putting modules in the wrong place (I'm running the 2.4.18-5 kernal, not the 2.4.2).  I've corrected that, I think.  lsmod shows airo_cs loaded as well as pcnet_cs for the 10/100 ethernet.

Still says device not present at boot and the Gnome network tool cannot activate it........

• Ben Cranston

Ben Cranston - 2002-06-27

I didn't have to install this driver.  It came stock in RH7.3.  So I didn't have any issues with it.  I'm slightly behind you on kernel 2.4.18-3, but that shouldn't matter too much.  I'm in the process of building new drivers from the cvs repository.  I wonder if the version I have just won't go into prom mode?  I've tried everything I know and still no indication via ifconfig that we are in prom mode.  ugh.

• Ben Cranston

Ben Cranston - 2002-06-27

I've tried to load the latest driver from the cvs repository, but it will not compile.  I've copied over the airo.c and airo_cs.c code into the kernel tree and did the makes.  I get all the way to make bzImage and then die in a flurry of "invalid type argument of '->'" errors near line 7635.  ugh.  does anyone have an idea how to make this driver compile?

• Roger H. Goun

Roger H. Goun - 2002-10-11

I had the same problem on Red Hat 8.0. I found that the driver compiled  fine once I copied over the .h files in the airo-linux/kernel directory of the CVS repository: aes.h, aestab.h, airo.h, and mic.h.

• Darrin Miller

Darrin Miller - 2002-12-28

What version of the kernel did you successfully compile on with RH8.0? Also, are you using a PCI card or a PCMCIA card I am trying to get a PCMCIA 350 card to compile, but it is bombing out on make modules.  Thanks.

• Dan Devine

Dan Devine - 2002-06-30

Thanks for answering before.  I went with the re-install and got everything working alright.  The Cisco driver set was counting on the older kernel, and even after changing it, I ended up *ucking myself by installing the drivers myself.  I'll "NEVER" follow directions again!....

What are you using for packet capture, etc......I saw the prism, will that work with Cisco?  Does Airsnort handle that for you?

Thanks
      DD

• Dan Devine

Dan Devine - 2002-10-12

I was never able to get the Aironet 350 working under 7.3.  As I posted before, I was continually receiving "BAP Setup error".

I edited a number of files, posted some messages on the PCMCIA_CS board, but still no luck.  I've recently switched to RH8.0 (which comes with configs for the aironet pcmica series).

I still get the "BAP Setup error" when booting cold, but the card works (no pcmcia errors, two high beeps, all looks clear) when warm-booting from Win2000.  It seems like the card needs something special to be "activated" on powerup.  I suspect that my problem is now with the time delay for the card to reset on initial powerup, although I've changed that before too.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dan D.

• Dan Devine

Dan Devine - 2002-10-12

I was never able to get the Aironet 350 working under 7.3.  As I posted before, I was continually receiving "BAP Setup error".

I edited a number of files, posted some messages on the PCMCIA_CS board, but still no luck.  I've recently switched to RH8.0 (which comes with configs for the aironet pcmica series).

I still get the "BAP Setup error" when booting cold, but the card works (no pcmcia errors, two high beeps, all looks clear) when warm-booting from Win2000.  It seems like the card needs something special to be "activated" on powerup.  I suspect that my problem is now with the time delay for the card to reset on initial powerup, although I've changed that before too.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dan D.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks