Menu

faded rendering in v2.4 vs v2.5

2015-04-24
2015-04-25
  • Graeme Geldenhuys

I've just updated AGG to the latest r106 and compiled in under FreeBSD 10.1. I then compiled the "lion" example and noticed it has very faded colours. I then compiled AGG 2.5 (found in the FreeBSD's ports system), and indeed the lion demo there looks much better. The 2.5 output is also how I remember the v2.4 output (from the original v2.4 release before it moved to SourceForge.net). What would have caused this change? Is this a bug?

Here is the output side by side. Notice that everything in the v2.4 image is lighter at the same alpha level setting - even the text on the slider control. [http://geldenhuys.co.uk/~graemeg/agg_2.4_vs_2.5.png]

• Jim Barry

Jim Barry - 2015-04-25

On 24 April 2015 at 15:53, Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg@users.sf.net wrote:

I've just updated AGG to the latest r106 and compiled in under FreeBSD
      10.1. I then compiled the "lion" example and noticed it has very faded
      colours. I then compiled AGG 2.5 (found in the FreeBSD's ports system), and
      indeed the lion demo there looks much better. The 2.5 output is also how I
      remember the v2.4 output (from the original v2.4 release before it moved to
      SourceForge.net). What would have caused this change? Is this a bug?

Hi Graeme. No, it's not a bug - quite the opposite, in fact. The current
      AGG 2.4 on SourceForge renders in linear RGB space, converting the final
      result to sRGB before blitting to the screen. The original AGG 2.4 (and the
      GPL'd AGG 2.5 that is codewise identical) renders in sRGB space, and while
      its darker output might "look better" to some, it is not correct.

Regards,

• Jim