Just wondered about updates and a thank you

Help
2010-12-06
2013-05-08
  • Saint Stryfe

Saint Stryfe - 2010-12-06

Hello,

Not a real question here, just wanted to give you a giant thank you. I was a two-mac person before a traffic accident destroyed my Macbook. I had to replace it with a PC laptop and not being able to access my hard drive on my Mac was very annoying.

Your program works beautifully. I used the .deb package on 10.10 and once I figured out the command line, I was able to start transferring music and other files from my desktop mac without a problem. Being a relative linux newbie, it taught me a lot trying to get it working and I deeply appreciate your work as my impetus for learning this.

I was hoping maybe we could get a state-of-the-software note, let us know how and if development is continuing? While I got it working well, I would love one day to just click network and see other AFP shares listed there.

Thank you again!

• Alex deVries

Alex deVries - 2010-12-06

Thanks for the comments.

Software's actually not all that useful if one has to learn the Linux command line tools to get it working.  So although you got through it that way, most people would probably give up earlier and have just never communicated that. I do this all the time.

In terms of a GUI, I got somewhere a couple of years ago with KDE integration, but the kio-slave API was really poor for supporting something like AFP.  I know that that's changed recently, but haven't checked out how that might work.  I have made improvements to the threading problems in AFP in the meantime that should improve that.

I think afpfs-ng 0.8.1 has been in a state where it is usually good enough for a lot of people.  The biggest problems are around a 64-bit permission bit bug, and various smaller problems. I have rewritten some of the more complicated parts to address these and a larger set of problems not apparent to most people.

Unfortunately, I have shifted my extra-curricular activities to cycling advocacy in Ottawa, Canada, so updates to afpfs-ng have been on my todo list for quite awhile.  I don't think that will change anytime in the next year.

- Alex

• Saint Stryfe

Saint Stryfe - 2010-12-07

Thank you for the prompt reply. It's good to know. So long as it's working, I'm thrilled.

Good luck on your advocacy.