I have tried this on FreeBSD and Tru64 clients and get the same
problem. When restoring with "afrestore -a" I get everything back,
including symlinks, which is wonderful. However, many times I
just want one directory back, so I use the normal form of
"afrestore". In these cases I never get the symlinks inside that
directory back - they just disappear.
afrestore -C . -v home_storm/radfordp
will get back all normal files and directories as intended beneath
that path, but NOT symlinks. If I restore everything in the backup
with "-a", the symlinks are there, but I have to restore 20+ GB
more than I really need.