Advmame slow MSDOS

ZZIZIZ
2009-09-15
2013-05-27
  • ZZIZIZ

ZZIZIZ - 2009-09-15

Hi
    When i run "advmame" takes 10 seconds to show the copyright info.. then loads the rom (this time is the same running a rom with mame)

Ex: metal slug
    ADVMAME 10seconds (???) + 4 seconds(loading rom) = 14 seconds
    MAME 4seconds (loading rom)

What's wrong?
    I'm using MSDOS, in win98 works fine.
    Thanks

• Brian

Brian - 2013-01-16

Use "smartdrv" in dos. I'm currently working on building my Mame Cab and plan to use DOS because A) It's fast, B) works well with Arcade Monitors, and C) Killing the power won't crash the Hard Drive.

• greatfunky

greatfunky - 2013-01-26

i'm totally agree with you twiddler , dos version is still the best especially for those who have classic arcade cabinet with 15khz crt .
    Windows is better for 3d games but you need a modern arcade cabinet with tri-frequences crt for a better experience.

Actually i use advancemame+ (for extra games ) combined with advancemame 1.2 under arcadeos .
    Cps3 games runs fine under dos

I always dream that Andrea will be back with a new dos version …..
    but it does not appear that will happen

• Andrea Mazzoleni

Linux is another good option. It's fast and surely better supported than DOS. Obviously I mean a Linux configuration trimmed down to the minimum. Just like DOS :)

I'm using it in my cabinet, and I'm pretty satisfied.

Anyway, you can still hope. I'll try to update to the new MAME core, and if possible I'll also made a DOS version available.
    But it's something that will require some months. So, be patient. A lot patient.

Ciao,
    Andrea

• greatfunky

greatfunky - 2013-01-30

It's a very good news Andrea   if you don't forget DOS  !
    i'm not familiar with Linux , but i know that's a good alternative to windows , certainly faster …

i'm waiting a new mame core based  version for 4 years now , then i can wait  some months again  ! ^_^

Thanks for your work !

• hat

hat - 2013-02-11

thats great news!
    DOS version will probably work for me.

• lautoine

lautoine - 2013-03-22

u have to use dos 7.0 ( from win98, win98se), smartdrv and himem.sys in your config.sys , and udma driver for dos ( udmajr.sys) --> u can also use : smartdrv & himem.sys from win Me (himem.sys has a better support for memory than 98 files) : http://www.multiboot.ru/msdos8.htm

my config.sys :

device=c:\dos\arcmon.sys
    device=c:\dos\setver.exe
    device=c:\dos\himem.sys /TESTMEM:OFF
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    device=c:\dos\emm386.exe noems novcpi
    DEVICE=c:\dos\UDMA2.SYS /O

my autoexec.bat :

@ECHO OFF
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H7 P330 T6
    SET SBPCI=C:\DOSDRV
    C:\DOSDRV\SBLOAD
    C:\DOSDRV\SBINIT.COM
    C:\DOS\SMARTDRV /x >null
    C:\DOS\KEYB fr,,C:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS
    cd advmenu
    advmenup

• david g

david g - 2013-05-27

man, I've been having one hell of a time trying to get advance mame or any mame in general to work properly in dos. it keeps booting me back to the command prompt.

Perhaps i'm missing a simple setting but i've worked on this all day and can't seem to get it right at all.

is there anyone that would be willing to send me their DOS install files?