Menu

SLC PLC Communication Issue

Help
2020-04-14
2020-04-15
  • Joseph Cauley

Joseph Cauley - 2020-04-14

I am having trouble communicating with a SLC-5/05 PLC. There was a power outage and although we are having no trouble connecting to the PLC using RSLinx, our HMIs built with AdvancedHMI drivers are getting no results.

The basic labels state:
    Could not connect to xx.xx.xx.xx, port 44818. Timed out
    No response from Forward Open

When doing a direct .Read, the response is:
    Read Failed - No Response

We are able to view the values on the PLC through RSLinx data monitor and log into it using RSLogix 500. Additionally, we are still able to communicate to other PLCs.

Is there, perhaps, a necessary setting on the PLC that could have flipped off as a result of the power outage?

Thanks,
    MC

• Archie

Archie - 2020-04-14

No settings that I am aware of could change. I would do a WireShark to look at the traffic

• Joseph Cauley

Joseph Cauley - 2020-04-15

Archie,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have used wireshark to observe that there does appear to be an issue but I apologize for I am not network savvy enough to have an "ah ha!" moment looking at it. The attachment shows a filtered log of 1 BasicLabel attempting to update itself and presenting the messages mentioned in the above message.

The real head scratcher for my team and I is that RSLinx allows us to view data but our AdvancedHMI drivers are not having the same success which leads us to believe that:

a) this could just be a hardware issue, and
    b) AdvancedHMI talks to PLCs differently than RSLinx

We're just hoping to have overlooked something simple so that we can get back up and running.

Thanks again for your time,
    MC

• Joseph Cauley

Archie,

I wanted to provide one other detail in the attachment below. As you can see, when a direct read is attempted on one of the SLC 5/05 PLCs, there is no issue but yet the other throws a NullReference exception although for each, you can see valid data in both of the F8:8 PLC addresses using RSLinx.

Thanks,
    MC

• Archie

Archie - 2020-04-15

What version of AdvancedHMI are you using? If not using at least 3.99x, I would recommend a quick test witrh that version.

• Joseph Cauley

The test in the image above is using the following:

AdvancedHMIControls 3.9.9.2510
    AdvancedHMIDrivers 3.9.9.2510
    MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Controls 1.0.0.0 (says Runtime Version v4.0.30319 if that's more helpful)
    MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Drivers 3.99.19.7

I downloaded the latest drivers from the website in order to do the test that the wireshark data is based on. The BasicLabel is on the black form screen that was included in the solution downloaded.

Thanks,
    MC

• Archie

Archie - 2020-04-15

Ok. That's 3.99y Beta 10. The beta is now up to 35. You would need to go to the AdvancedHMI forum to download the latest beta. I can test the F8:8, but it will take me a couple hours to get to everything to set it up.

• Joseph Cauley

I switched to the drivers to what i downloaded yesterday. The parent solution was labeled v35 so I think that's the one you are referring to. The version numbers actually decreased so maybe I've missed something:

AdvancedHMIControls 3.9.9.24
    AdvancedHMIDrivers 3.9.9.24
    MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Controls 1.0.0.0
    MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Drivers 3.99.19.2

Never the less, the issue persists. Also, F8:8 isn't necessarily the issue. I have not found success in reading anything from the PLC though, again, the RSLinx connection is working flawlessly and displaying data.

Thanks,
    MC

• Archie

Archie - 2020-04-15

The Wireshark screen capture isn't enough for me to diagnose the problem. You can try adding "cip" in the filter to see only the traffic of it talking to the PLC

• Archie

Archie - 2020-04-15

One quick thing to try... In the driver properties, reduce the CIPConnectionSize to 200. Some older PLCs can't handle the 508

• Joseph Cauley

The original wireshark image was showing all traffic that involved the 10.60.48.215 IPAddress, the PLC. I opened up the AdvancedHMIv35 solution with a single BasicLabel (the one that's currently saying cannot connect and No response from Forward Open) and ran wireshark filtering for only the CIP protocol. There is mention of two IP addresses that are not mine; I'm not entirely sure what they are but they continue to occur even when the BasicLabel app is not running so I assume they're unrelated.

There doesn't appear to be any CIP communication occuring (RSLinx is off) between my computer and the PLC.

Additionally, i tried the 200 and even 100 CIPConnectionSize with no success. This PLC was working, everything as-is, until Monday's reboot / power outage so I'm feeling like it could be hardware related but the question in everyone's mind is,

"Why does RSLinx work but AdvancedHMI doesn't?"

Thanks,
    MC

• Joseph Cauley

The wireshark capture here is interesting i guess. It's filtered again for only that PLC. I have RSLinx running and we can see that every RSLinx communication (port 62304 to 2222) is successful and every BasicLabel communication (Dynamic port to 44818) is not successful.

Perhaps this is a hint?

• Archie

Archie - 2020-04-15

Port 2222 is an older protocol, not Ethernet/IP. The early versions of the SLC 5/05 did not support Ethernet/IP AdvancedHMI does not support that older protocol. In RSLinx try using the Ethernet/IP driver (not the Ethernet driver) to see if it works.

I am going to take a wild guess and say that if it worked before, then someone swapped out your SLC processor with an older processor.

• Joseph Cauley

Though I don't disagree that it sounds like that, it seems very inplausable; I will ask the question though.

The Ethernet/IP driver does not connect to it. Interestingly, a computer that utilizes Ethernet/IP driver exclusively was showing the PLC but with an X implying that it had seen it before but no longer sees it and it would not reconnect to it using that driver but it would connect to it using the Ethernet Device driver (where you type in the specific IP address).

Do you think it's possible that a power outage could have damaged a specific portion of the PLC or that it could have reverted from an updated version of the PLC or are you set on it must be a different processor? I read a forum where Ken Roach was saying that most SLC 5/05s can be updated to support newer communication protocols.

Thanks again for your help on this; I agree the issue does not seem to be AdvancedHMI based so much as just our lack of understanding of how each of these communications work.

MC

• Joseph Cauley

I asked the question and our maintenance team did change out the processor. They say it was 3 weeks ago and that it was working for at least a week since it was changed out up until the power outage this Monday. We're also requisitioning for a new processor and this replacement should fix our issue.

Perhaps the power outage reset something that was allowing the CIP connection to be maintained somehow.

Thanks,
    MC

• Archie

Archie - 2020-04-15

To the best of my knowledge the first SLC 5/05 processors came out before Ethernet/IP was developed. If you dissect the ABEthernet packet, you can see how it was the start and evolved into what is now Ethernet/IP. I can't imagine anyway a ABEthernet processor could hold a CIP (Ethernet/IP) connection, especially considering it is a different TCP/IP port.