PocketPC

2004-06-21
2004-06-24
  • Matthias Zirngibl

Is it possible to use this wrapper with the Compact Framework for PocketPCs?

• felix

felix - 2004-06-21

I could be mistaken, but I believe the answer is NO.

In order to have the code running with WinCE or PocketPC you need to compile the (SQLite) code with the Embedded Visual C++ compiler. As far as I know, SQLite is not yet available as a binary for WinCE, and any issues with porting it are unknown (to me).

I am reasonably confident that once that has been done the ADO Wrapper will work in the compact framework.

I would love to use SQLite on WinCE, we are currently using SQL CE on CE and SQLite on PC, with conditional compiling resolving some of the differences.

• Alexander Gavrilov

Actually, there is a port of SQLite to WinCE. See http://sqlite-wince.sourceforge.net/. Unfortunately, the current version of SQLite.NET compiles the native SQLite library INSIDE the managed DLL. So, there is no easy way to grab the port. The reason for that is Visual .NET doesn't support support native compiling for Pocket PC and Embedded Visual C++ doesn't support the creation of managed DLLs.

• Matthias Zirngibl

Is it maybe possible with one of the other .Net Wrapper?

• Alexander Gavrilov

I'm not sure about other wrappers. I believe they are either too low-level, or doesn't have a full implementation of ADO.NET provider.
        FYI, the next version of SQLite.NET will decouple .NET provider and SQLite itself. SQLite.NET and SQLite will be two different DLLs. SQLite.NET will be able to run on any platform supported by .NET Framework. SQLite.NET DLL will require the presence of sqlite.dll in the same directory as SQLite.NET.

• Alexander Gavrilov

Forgot to mention that I hope to release the precompiled version of SQLite for PC and PocketPC as well.

• Matthias Zirngibl

Then my only question is: When will you assume to release this version?

• Alexander Gavrilov

I hope, the decoupled SQLite.NET and SQLite for PC will be available on July, 24. Not sure about SQLite for PocketPC. Probably, two days later.

• Christian \'Black\' Schwarz

AFAIK, managed C++ isn't available for .NET Compact Framewok platform. At least it's not possible to create a managed C++ project for Windows CE ...

Maybe someone could enlight me ?

• Alexander Gavrilov

Visual Studio .NET compiles Managed C++ to IL (intermediate language). This compiled DLL should (theoretically) run on any .NET Framwork implementations, including Compact Framework. 

• Alexander Gavrilov

My intention is to compile ADO.NET provider DLL using VS.NET 2003 and SQLite DLL using eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0. The provider will be managed DLL and SQLite DLL will be native DLL. Then the provider will use PInvoke services to call unmanaged SQLite functions.

• Christian \'Black\' Schwarz

When PInvoking a native SQLite.dll under .NET CF you'd also have to switch from sqlite_exec() to sqlite_compile()/sqlite_step() as unmanaged callbacks aren't available under .NET CF.

• Alexander Gavrilov

We don't use callbacks. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks