I'm trying to enter the name Alfonso Cuarón into my database/ The table and the collation are both UTF-8. I enter Cuarón into the last name field and Adminer then displays it as CuarÃ³n.
Since Adminer supports UTF-8 and the table's collation and encoding are UTF-8, why is it not displaying correctly in Adminer when I enter it directly? How else can I debug this?
First of all, what's your driver? I couldn't reproduce it with MySQL.
Is this the info you're looking for?
Client API library version 5.5.34-MariaDB
Client API header version 5.5.32
what I find really odd is that if I enter the name through one of my own web forms it goes in ok. But I have a few quick updates to make that adminer is perfect for, so I'm scratching my head why I'm having this issue.
UPDATE: had this thought as I was heading off to sleep: adminer was installed when the db was still running as Latin1. would that have set up something different that could be causing this? Should I re-install adminer now that we've migrated to UTF-8?
Ok...still scratching my head on this one.
Grabbed the latest Adminer, 4.0.2.
Database is utf8, collation is utf8_general_ci, table and column are too.
Go to change Alfonso Cuaron to Alfonso Cuarón. Edit the entry, go to the last name field and type Cuar[Alt-0243]n. It appears in the Adminer entry form as Cuarón. I save the edit and once again Adminer displays the row as CuarÃ³n.
Nginx is serving up an UTF-8 charset. PHP is configured for UTF-8. Mysql is configured for UTF-8.
I went to one of my php data entry forms and created a Bob Cuarón. It showed up fine.
I SSH'd into the server fired up a mysql command line and ran an update sql line with Cuarón. That worked. But trying to change it in Adminer still kept giving me CuarÃ³n.
I'm loving Adminer but this is increasing my caffeine intake. :-)
Still having this issue...any way i can get more debug info for you?
I tried an edit/save with adminer versions 3.7.1 and 4.0.3, and I do not see this trouble.
I don't mind trying other ideas, but I cannot reproduce.
But what can I do to give debug info on this issue? I even created a new database and the same thing happened, even though the tables, columns, collation were all UTF-8.
Again, utf-8 settings in php.ini, my.cnf, nginx.cnf. With my own web forms I can enter/retrieve UTF-8. Using the mysqlnd driver.
Just did another test. Entered John Doé into adminer. The resulting SQL command was INSERT INTO people (first, middle, last, display, url) VALUES ('John', '', 'DoÃ©', NULL, '');
I really don't know why it's changing the encoding. And I'm loving what I see of Adminer, but this is making it unusable.
Is there ANY other info that I can give, test, try to get to the bottom of this?
Have noticed the same issue with phpmyadmin. SQLBuddy handles it just fine, but doesn't have the features I need.
I tried another entry, and this is what I noted:
INSERT INTO `applications` (`Name:`, `Number:`, `Breed:`, `Received from:`, `Leaving date:`, `Rescue:`)
VALUES ('coóler', '1', 'doggy', 'over yonder', '2013-12-12', '');
The only other thing I can think of at the moment, is does the PHP actually have the mbstring library?
Earlier, you said an entry at the DB command line was ok, so directly, that would be the DB using its own libs. You also said that phpMyAdmin has the same behavior as Adminer? Is there a warning message on phpMyAdmin's main page [usually in a yellow banner, near the bottom] that has a complaint about the mbstring library?
Was really hoping that was going to be the issue but it appears (according to phpinfo) that it's installed. Here are the settings.
Multibyte Support enabled
Multibyte string engine libmbfl
HTTP input encoding translation enabled
libmbfl version 1.3.2
Multibyte (japanese) regex support enabled
Multibyte regex (oniguruma) backtrack check On
Multibyte regex (oniguruma) version 4.7.1
Directive Local Value Master Value
mbstring.detect_order auto auto
mbstring.encoding_translation On On
mbstring.func_overload 0 0
mbstring.http_input auto auto
mbstring.http_output UTF-8 UTF-8
mbstring.http_output_conv_mimetypes ^(text/|application/xhtml+xml) ^(text/|application/xhtml+xml)
mbstring.internal_encoding UTF-8 UTF-8
mbstring.language Neutral Neutral
mbstring.strict_detection Off Off
mbstring.substitute_character no value no value
Are those setting ok?
Really scratching my head here.
My settings: (I've indicated our differences in yellow)
Those are the installed defaults, as I've never modified any values. So, if you have made any adjustments to those settings, try to undo them.
Will give it a go and get back to you.
[holds up winning answer] BINGO!
Made the changes you suggested and suddenly all is well.
I made those changes based on a UTF-8 conversion checklist I read on the web. Didn't bookmaark it, so I can't suggest which one to avoid. :-)
Excellent! Glad those helped.
[so this was NOT an Adminer issue!! -- but a mbstring config matter]
For others that cross this post, know that those highlighted mbstring settings are NOT my suggestion, as those are simply the unaltered installed defaults from my PHP config.
Granted, some of those mbstring settings MAY have other specific uses, but I would believe that a special need would be necessary before altering the defaults.
Log in to post a comment.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.