BOM with alternative or substitute item. How?

2011-03-16
2013-03-07
  • Marcelo F. Dannus

Hi,

Please, how to configure my BOM where I can use one item or other?
       E.g.: We have the same item, SD-CARD, of two differents suppliers. One product code to each one. In my manufacture we can use anyone, since have in stock.
        It's possible?
        What's suggestion?

* Sorry my english.

Thanks.
    Marcelo.

• Trifon (An ADempiere founder)

Hi Marcelo,

Please, how to configure my BOM where I can use one item or other?
       E.g.: We have the same item, SD-CARD, of two differents suppliers. One product code to each one. In my manufacture we can use anyone, since have in stock.
        It's possible?
        What's suggestion?

You can achieve this in ADempiere by using Phantom Type of product.
    As Children of your Phantom product you can define alternatives products which can be sold.
    Then on the Order entry user will be able to choose which specific component will be used.

Regards,
    Trifon

• Marcelo F. Dannus

Hi Trifon,

Thanks for your answer.
       I did one phantom product simulation and don't got result expected.
      My BOM structure as follows:
      -Product "A" is a Set - Qty 1
          - Product "B" is a Phantom - Qty 1
               - (or) Product "B.1" is a component(Vendor X) - Qty 5 - available stock 4
               - (or) Product "B.2" is a component(Vendor Y) - Qty 5 - available stock 6
               - (or) Product "B.3" is a compoenet(Vendor Z) - Qty 5 - available stock 7

Simulation:
       I created one Forecast for production of 10 product "A". The MRP has generated reserved quantities the follow:
         - (and) Product "B.1" is a component(Vendor X) - stock 4 - reserved  50 - available (-46)
         - (and) Product "B.2" is a component(Vendor Y) -  stock 6 - reserved  50 - available (-44)
         - (and) Product "B.3" is a compoenet(Vendor Z) -  stock 7 - reserved  50 - available (-43)

I wish that the MRP, use sum of the three quantities for B.1, B.2 and B.3 products, total of 17.

That's all.

* sorry my english.

Regards
    Marcelo.

• Anonymous - 2011-10-28

Hi,

I have a similar problem.

Our product can be manufactured using only 1 piece of any of its components.

I would like MRP to know that if I have 10 pieces of material A and 5 pieces of material B, it would be possibel to manufacture 15 pieces of the final product.

Is there a way to configure the product BOM to be 1 piece of A  OR  1 piece of B?

Kind Regards,
    Rafael

• Jubin Philip

Jubin Philip - 2011-12-06

Hi All,

I support this initiative.
    +1 vote to this suggestion.

This is very much needed in a normal manufacturing company. Is there a solution to this in the current version of adempiere. Looking out for suggestions!

Thanks,

Philip

• cleevers

cleevers - 2011-12-06

Hello,

The unique diference of B.1, B.2 and B.3 is a Vendor ?

Why did you not put the vendor property in a instance attribute, and register only one Product B.

And your problems will be solved.

• Teo Sarca

Teo Sarca - 2011-12-06

Hi,

> The unique diference of B.1, B.2 and B.3 is a Vendor ?
    > Why did you not put the vendor property in a instance attribute, and register only one Product B.

Hmmm, this depends the industry on which u are working. For example when the components vendors are controlled by customer not sure this is desirable.

Anyway, i think that Product Planning shall be the right place to configure such policies or to extend it for more flexibility.

Best regards,
    Teo Sarca

• Jubin Philip

Jubin Philip - 2011-12-06

Hi Cleevers & Teo,

I think what Marcelo is trying to say, and as far i believe it is not exactly to do with the Vendor of the components. The main trouble is identifying the component. Let me just run you through what I understood.

-Product "A" is a Set - Qty 1
          - Product "B" is a Phantom - Qty 1
               - (or) Product "B.1" is a component(Vendor X) - Qty 5 - available stock 4
               - (or) Product "B.2" is a component(Vendor Y) - Qty 5 - available stock 6
               - (or) Product "B.3" is a compoenet(Vendor Z) - Qty 5 - available stock 7

Product A has Product B as a BOM component.
    i,e means Product A can be manufactured with Product B.

Now the trouble maker is Product B.
    Product B can be made of EITHER 5 quantities of B.1 OR 5 quantities of B.2 OR 5 quantities of B.3

Now when a requirement for 10 quantities of Product B (consider my available =0) comes, the system triggers 10*5 = 50 quantities of B.1 / B.2/ B.3

But considering Marcelo's simulation and considering the inventory level he gave in his example:
    available stock of B.1 =4
    available stock of B.2 =6
    available stock of B.3 =7

Since the Product B can be made from EITHER of the three above is there a condition for the system to consider the available stock 4+6+7=17 and generate MO/requisition for remaining (50-17=33) quantity? instead or direct 50!

SO basically vendor does not come into play till yet. The system should consider ANY and ALL of the ways through which the Product B can be made and generate MO/Req. for the rest needed!

Regards,

Philip

• Colin Rooney

Colin Rooney - 2011-12-06

It was the early 90s the last time I was developing MRP systems for electronics companies - back any given product had a few different types of BOMs.

There was the Engineering BOM that came from the CAD systems.
    This would specify the components and the define tolerances a component should meet.
    A  technical/purchasing would create a second BOM that defined specific components that would meet the definitions of the engineering BOM and this was the input to the MRP.

BUT, like here sometimes the ideal item was not available and another would be used on the production line - for a simple example the BOM of a PC might have called 100GB disk (actually it was more like 10mb back then! :)), but since none were available a larger disk was used (free of charge to the end customer).

BUT since there was a warranty that needed to be serviced - we need to know what actually was used in the creation of the product not was was in the original BOM so we'd capture the Manufacturing BOM.  Unless the item was something like a mainframe this was usually per Batch rather than per item.

I have practically zero experience of libero but I saw there was a BOM type on BOM definitions… perhaps this could be used to create something like the above.

For simply scenario's there is also the old Configuration BOMs perhaps they might be utilised too!?

colin

• cleevers

cleevers - 2011-12-06

Products B.1, B.2 and B.3 are not substitutes for one another?

The substitute  tab should not do something along these lines?

Thus, we would put on the list of materials only item B.1 in A BOM.

So, put a B.2 and B.3 in substitute Tab of B1 product.
    And in susbtitute Product tab of a B1 product, we would put B.2 and B.3, and the same for each.

* Sorry my english.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks