Migration to allure

2012-11-26
2013-03-07
  • Tobias Schöneberg

Hi Fina,
    you wrote in the "Announcement of CC Team Election 2012" thread

regarding the SF migration on allure . pls give me admin rights (temporarily) and I will do that. I will publish a plan . I have some recommendations how SF project stricture has to be changed.

I think in order to migrate to allure, we need a detailed plan and a broad discussion first. Two examples:
    When I last researched this topic, the outcome was that Sourceforge can't migrate the forums. Is this still the case? If yes, what will we do about it?
    Also, it would interest me if it's possible to have dryruns, like creating adempiere-allure as a migrated *copy* first, and provide it in a sort of read-only mode for evaluation.
    These are just two more or less random questions that popped up in my mind. I'm sure there are _many _ more things to discuss and plan and deal with before we can seriously pick a date for migration.

So imho migrating this project to allure will be a lot of work. Having somebody with admin right press the buttons is the last (and probably least) effort. As a starter, you could add a page (or a section on your own user page) in the ADempiere wiki, as a place to gather links and documentation.
    WDYT?

Best Regards
    Tobi

• Rich Bowen

Rich Bowen - 2012-11-29

Excuse me butting in, but I can answer two of your questions.

1) Yes, we migrate forums

2) Yes, we can do a test migration to a sandbox if you like, so that you can test it out. Just get in touch with sfnet_ops@sourceforge.net to request.

• Tobias Schöneberg

Hi rbowen,
    that's great to hear :-)

Yes, we can do a test migration to a sandbox if you like, so that you can test it out

How much effort would this mean for whom?

The Background my question is that I wonder whether it's sensible to do the thinking, talking and conceptualizing (yes, that's a word ;) ) first.
    Or is migrating that simple that you can provide a sandbox to evaluate easily, which would probably reduce the thinking/discussing effort a lot  ;-).

Best Regards
    Tobi

• xolali

xolali - 2012-11-30

Hi,
    Just get in touch with sfnet_ops@sourceforge.net to request.

Xolali

• Tobias Schöneberg

Hi Community,
    just wondering, who is interested at all (I mean besides Fina and myself) in migrating ADempiere-SF to allure?

Given that sourceforge would provide a test sandbox, would anybody besides me want to evaluate it?
    If not more than two persons have a sustained interest in this, it's probably a waste of effort for the SF-team.

Best regards
    Tobi

• Colin Rooney

Colin Rooney - 2012-11-30

I never heard of Allure until this thread… what is it? What are the benefits?
    We already have SF & Jira - is this another management tool?

colin

• Rich Bowen

Rich Bowen - 2012-11-30

Allura (with an a, not an e) is the new version of sourceforge. Everyone will be migrating to it. The idea here is to migrate on your own schedule rather than ours. Read more at http://sf.net/upgrade/

• Tobias Schöneberg

Thx for clarifying (that's why I had so many problems finding any docs :-) ).
    The link https://sourceforge.net/upgrade/ didn't work for me, but just searching for "Allura" alone one can get infomation quickly

• Colin Rooney

Colin Rooney - 2012-11-30

Thanks for the info rbowen.

colin

• Anonymous - 2012-11-30

Took a quick look at your project in regards to an Allura upgrade, and I don't recommend you do try an upgrade until this issue is addressed.

How that applies to Adempiere is that each Tracker, Hosted App, and Mercurial repository will get migrated into an individual "tool" in the Allura interface, each with it's own entry in the navigation bar. For most projects, this isn't a problem, but for Adempiere, that would mean 50+ items in the navigation bar, which would be, in a word, unusable (or in three, a complete mess).

My recommendation is to subscribe to that ticket (envelope in the upper right), and once that's fixed, log a support ticket and request the test upgrade to sandbox that rbowen mentioned.

• Mario Calderon

Mario Calderon - 2012-12-02

hello Tobi,
    I think this would be a matter of the Technical Team, would it?

As of Colin, I was completely unaware of Allura, which seems the way to go with some real nice new features.

Best regards,
    Mario Calderon

• Tobias Schöneberg

Good Morning Mario,

I think this would be a matter of the Technical Team, would it?

I think it depends on what needs to be done :-).
    When the problem mentioned by ctsai is solved and SourceForge provides a sandbox-solution to try out, then I think it's not a particularly technical matter.
    Instead, imho everbody will get the opportunity to have a look at how the new interface supports their respective discussing/trolling/moderating/ducumenting/developing/integrating/releasing/etc requirements.

Best Regards
    Tobi

• Tobias Schöneberg

Hi ctsai,
    thanks a lot for taking a look. Is there anything we can or should do to give this ticket a higher priority?

Best Regards
    Tobi

• Rich Bowen

Rich Bowen - 2012-12-03

If you look at the ticket, you'll note that it's in the forge-dec-14 milestone, which is the current one. That's about as high a priority as it can get, so I think you should see some action on this really soon.

• Rich Bowen

Rich Bowen - 2013-01-08

Issue #4957 is resolved as of this morning.

• Tobias Schöneberg

Hi rbowen,
    thank you for the notice. Our company is currently in the final stages of a big project, so I would only be able to request an allure sandbox, but I could not check it out, when it was provided :-(

@all,
    if anybody else is interested in evaluating allura, I recommend sending a request for a sandbox to the SF admins, e.g to ctsai. I hope that with allura, we will have a more integrated environment, like modern forums, modern trackers, all  integrated with a modern mercurial-WebUI and better access to the localization and contrib repos, with a  fine-grained permission system.

Best regards
    Tobi

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks