Help save net neutrality! Learn more.
Close

compiling - can't find config.h

2008-09-30
2013-02-17
  • Andy Baxter

Andy Baxter - 2008-09-30

hello,

I am trying to compile the acx100 driver for a friend's computer. I have followed the instructions on how to compile inside the kernel tree. When I do make, it terminates with this error:

monkey:/usr/src/linux# monkey:/usr/src/linux# make
      CHK     include/linux/version.h
      CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
      CHK     include/linux/compile.h
      CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/acx/wlan.o
    drivers/net/wireless/acx/wlan.c:40:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
    make[4]: *** [drivers/net/wireless/acx/wlan.o] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [drivers/net/wireless/acx] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [drivers/net/wireless] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [drivers/net] Error 2
    make: *** [drivers] Error 2

I have looked for config.h in /usr/src/linux/include/linux, and it isn't there (but is in /usr/include/linux)

how can I get this to compile?

• David Planella

David Planella - 2008-10-26

Andy,

which kernel version are you using? Is it a very old kernel?

Having had a quick look at the wlan.c file [1], it seems that config.h is only included for kernels older than 2.6.18. I have not such kernel to reproduce this, but I would advise you either to try with a newer kernel if you can or with the out-of-tree build method if you can.

[1] http://gitorious.org/projects/acx-mac80211/repos/mainline/blobs/non-mac80211/wlan.c

• Andy Baxter

Andy Baxter - 2008-10-27

I think it was 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 (from the 64studio distro), but not quite sure as it was on a friend's machine not mine.

I gave up in the end and used ndiswrapper instead, which is working fine so I don't really want to spend much more time on this one.

Thanks anyway for your time,

andy

• Andy Baxter

Andy Baxter - 2008-10-27

P.S. I just had a quick look at my version of wlan.c and it includes config.h unconditionally, so I guess this is the problem. I can't remember where I got the source from though - might have been the 64studio repositories or the sourceforge site.

andy