New Weapons?

Brainstorm
LCID Fire
2001-10-03
2003-12-31
  • LCID Fire

LCID Fire - 2001-10-03

So guys what would you like to have a weapon for? How will the "bullets" be generated? Images or code?

• Zap_Rowsdower

Zap_Rowsdower - 2001-10-03

Not sure if it would be possible to make a sword in the game, but that might be kinda cool to see. Some thing like C4 explosives or trip-wire explosives would be cool...and hey how about a flamethrower, Haloween Harry style?

Im gonna try to think of some more...

ZAP!!

• LCID Fire

LCID Fire - 2001-10-03

I think implementing a sword is not the problem. The real problem is to make it useable. I mean it has to be easy enough to hit an enemy and it has to be not to easy to slaughter enemies. And of course the story has to fit. I prefer guns :)
        I would like to have a kind of lightning-gun. I mean no gun that just fires in a straight direction. It should produce a kind of lightning that is not very accurate but does some damage.
        A flamethrower would be nice, too. But the ammo should be very very limited.

• Zap_Rowsdower

Zap_Rowsdower - 2001-10-03

Yea I was thinking of the sword for more of a "seak weapon". But If I remember correctly there wasnt much sneaking in Abuse...

That lightning gun sounds awesone...lots of damage but not much accuracy. Mabie it could like, shoot electricity from one guy that you hit to another as well, like the prisim tank in Red Alert 2...cool weapon. And of course the flamethrower would have limited range and ammo.

Now for the 2nd game are we going for traditional weapons or off the wall plasma style guns.

ZAP!!

• LCID Fire

LCID Fire - 2001-10-03

Well I think that should depend on the storyline. But it shouldn't be too hard to design the weapons in both ways.

• Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott - 2001-10-04

I, personally, would like to see maybe a smaller set of weapons with more upgrades/modifications for them.  Much like Super Metroid's system -- mixing the spazer with your ice beam yields a more powerful version of the ice beam.

A flamethrower would be cool, though.  I'm thinking that maybe the firebomb & sabre can be made into one weapon that fires different ammo.  Tone down the firebomb's damage (to be less than the sabre), and give it a decent range and sustained fire for a flamethrower.

Something like that...  The trick will be getting a control scheme set up that allows players to quickly toggle through all the weapons they want...

--Jeremy

• LCID Fire

LCID Fire - 2001-10-05

Combining the weapons seems funny and usefull. In Abuse it took a little too long to switch the weapons.
        But speaking of Metroid - what about the character climing on walls or making someway of a stunt?

• Zap_Rowsdower

Zap_Rowsdower - 2001-10-05

I was also thinking that if it was possible we could set up a sort of a sniper gun that makes it so that like the screen moves over to the left or the right when you use it so you can hit guys ahead of you...

Unfortunatley there wasnt much use for one in Abuse 1 thought. The enemy usualy snuck up on you.

But still...

ZAP!!

• LCID Fire

LCID Fire - 2001-10-05

Do you know the Q3A-Mod TargetQuake? They made Q3A 2Dlike and there IS a sniper mode. But like you said - it's useless.
        I think the accuracy of the weapons should be much more different than in part 1.

• Zar Rat

Zar Rat - 2001-10-06

Anyone play Unreal Tournament? A good idea is this:

Have several related weapons/a weapon with different types of ammo on different numbers. Also, put the weapons on the number keys. Make a secondary-fire option! That would be sweet!

You could make some weapons like UT:
      - Flak Cannon (shoot bits of hot flack metal, or just a flak grenade).
      - Pistol (instant shot; secondary: twice as fast reload, half as accurate).
      - Close combat (sword, chainsaw, impact hammer) that have no ammo.
      - Sniper rifle sounds cool!
      - Controllable warhead launcher.
      - Minigun (faster in secondary fire).
      - Mortar launcher (shoots groups of explosive globs; secondary shoots a massive glob)

• LCID Fire

LCID Fire - 2001-10-07

This is a general thing that's got to be discussed. Should we take of the wall weapons (ion reflectors super cannon :)) or just normal weapons (rifle). I think we should have 2 very modern but still halfway normal weapons and the rest should be a bit off the wall.

• Zar Rat

Zar Rat - 2001-10-06

Oh, I just thought of this.

You should make the aim towards the mouse rather than in fixed angles. Make the graphic rounded to the closest angle, but the shot moves according to floating point numbers rather than integers.

This, I assume, wouldn't be too hard to do...

• Zap_Rowsdower

Zap_Rowsdower - 2001-10-08

I think that we should have 2 "traditonal" weapons and then some plasma style ones. Then a few off the wall ones. I think someone mentiones a lightning gun or something earilier.

ZAP!

• LCID Fire

LCID Fire - 2001-10-08

Yeah - I did :). I really would like it in the game. But I'm still searching for an algorythm to generate it.

• Zar Rat

Zar Rat - 2001-10-12

The bullets could probably be generated with a long, glowing line, and an ellipse or two shorter lines in the front. They should be long, so collisions will happen, but move fast as a result. The bullets could have fading trails or something. The bullet should whiz by too fast to see.

It would be awesome if you could really destroy some stuff: for example, a crate, you could burn with laser, shoot out chunks, etc.

So, real weapons: rifle, AK47 ;), automatic Army guns, grenade launchers, real rockets (straight), pipe bombs, pistols, sniper rifles, etc.

There could also be a Cathode Ray Gun, or CRG, which uses the Cathode Ray Tube idea to generate a quick burst of electrons, electrifying the target. This could bend or bounce off objects, or something... Like a lighting gun, except it's more realistic ;) .

For the engine, if there was transparency (and translucency, for correct terminology), you could have smoke expand and fade away, move backwards from a rocket, etc. You could also make particles fly out of an explosion, even make dangerous flak ;).

Of course, this would be a lot of programming, but it would compete with other games in graphics, and they wouldn't be low-quality textures. Also, if we had speed and time, we could add generated smoke with particles or something rather than premade graphics.

• Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott - 2001-10-12

Already implemented.  There's a (set_fade) lisp function (if I remember right) that sets the amount of alpha blending to do on an object.

And yeah, it does look pretty cool.  :)  It was part of the original engine (with 8-bit color) but IMHO it looks much better in true color...

--Jeremy

• Anthony Kruize

Anthony Kruize - 2001-10-16

Something to go along with weapons are defences against them.  Shields or Armour would be a nice addition I think.  Maybe even special shields/armour that protect against certain weapon types, but not others.

For example: an electromagnetic shield that would absorb energy attacks, but not projectile weapons.

Thoughts?

Anthony

• LCID Fire

LCID Fire - 2001-10-16

We've allready considered the armor and it would be nice if you would have to pic it up on your way.
        This shielding idea is, too, considerable. It would surely look great to have some kind of "bouncing" shielding. I would like to have this as some thing of special armor that you'll get 2-3 times in the game.
        But I don't know about the special shielding...I think it should have an effect but more like this:
        If this armor is energy special and an bullet hits you should get 2/3 damage on your life and 1/3 on your armor. Otherwise if it is an enery weapon you should get 1/3 on your life and 2/3 on the armor. Got it?
        What do you think?

• Anonymous - 2002-02-19

how bout weapons you can rapidly click or hold down to make it hurt more, like star fox

• LCID Fire

LCID Fire - 2003-12-31

Star fox was a console title. It's more likely a2 will be played on pcs. This includes 90% of all people have shitty mouses and keyboards. So I think this would make the game unfair very fast.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks