Menu

Structured Storage

Help
John Emmas
2006-05-11
2013-04-29
  • John Emmas

John Emmas - 2006-05-11

Back in the mists of time, the AAF SDK for Windows used a structured storage scheme devised by Microsoft. Later, we changed to (or added?) SchemaSoft's structured storage implementation.

What happens if someone sends me an AAF file created by an older version of the SDK? I'm only asking this because someone's sent me one and it seems to fall over when I try to read it with the Debug version of AAFCOAPI.dll. An assertion occurs in the function OMSSStoredObject::restore(void)

I might be wrong - but I wonder if the AAF file is still using the older, Microsoft structured storage. If so, should that cause any problems?

• Stuart Cunningham

We added the SchemaSoft structured storage implementation to the SDK on 2004/02/11, as an optional implementation - the default implementation of Microsofft remained.  Extensive interoperability testing uncovered no problems.  Later, on 2004/09/27, the Schemasoft implementation was set as the default.  The MS implementation is still available as a run-time option - see tests/com/ComFileKindTest for how to choose the implementation at run time.

The only issues that arose with structured storage testing was that the Microsoft implementation would fail when reading valid AAF files with large numbers of objects (see http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?group_id=24405&release_id=320106\)

If you can email a sample file to me I could have a quick look to see what is wrong with the file.

• John Emmas

John Emmas - 2006-05-11

>
      > The MS implementation is still available as a run-time option - see tests/com/ComFileKindTest for how to choose the implementation at run time.
      >

Thanks Stuart - I'll take a look at that tomorrow morning to see if it's relevant to my problem.

>
      > If you can email a sample file to me I could have a quick look to see what is wrong with the file.
      >

Many thanks. I've got your email address somewhere so I'll pop it over to you sometime tomorrow....

• Glenn Hughes

Glenn Hughes - 2006-07-01

Hey, Would it be possible to make Universal builds of the OS X SchemaSoft binaries? I'd really appreciate it!