Menu

error: treating 'c' input as 'c++' when in C++ mode, this behavior is deprecated

2019-01-02
2019-01-10
  • Xavier Canalda

Xavier Canalda - 2019-01-02

Hi all,
    I'm new to this.
    I was trying to build the AAF SDK, I've tried both "make everything" and "make AAFPLATFORM=X86_64Darwin"

I get that error:

cd ref-impl && /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make
    cd aaflib && /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for all'. cd aafiid && /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make make[2]: Nothing to be done forall'.
    cd expat && /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make
    Generating dependencies for xmlrole.c
    clang: error: treating 'c' input as 'c++' when in C++ mode, this behavior is deprecated
    Generating dependencies for xmltok.c
    clang: error: treating 'c' input as 'c++' when in C++ mode, this behavior is deprecated
    Generating dependencies for xmlparse.c
    g++ -c -g -Wall -Wundef -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Werror -Wno-reorder -Wno-unused -D_DEBUG -DOM_DEBUG -DOM_STACK_TRACE_ON_ASSERT -fsigned-char -DOM_USE_SCHEMASOFT_SS -DOM_STRUCTURED_STORAGE -fexceptions -DHAVE_EXPAT_CONFIG_H -arch x86_64 -I. xmlparse.c -o ../../AAFx86_64DarwinSDK/g++/ref-impl/debug/xmlparse.o
    make[2]: [../../AAFx86_64DarwinSDK/g++/ref-impl/debug/xmlparse.o] Error 1
    make[1]:
    [all] Error 2
    make: *** [ref-impl] Error 2

I would be grateful if someone could answer.
    Thanks to all.

• Jim Trainor

Jim Trainor - 2019-01-02

The latest version of XCode is not working. I just confirmed that by trying to build the AAF 1.1.6 code using clang-1000.11.45.5 (see below). You can try one of the binary releases. I don't know if the compatible with the latest macOS releases, however. You also use the AAF avid2018 branch. That build uses cmake and will work with the latest version of XCode. It is not officially released yet, however.

uname -v
    Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Fri Nov 2 20:43:16 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4570.71.17~1/RELEASE_X86_64

clang -v
    Apple LLVM version 10.0.0 (clang-1000.11.45.5)
    Target: x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0

make AAFPLATFORM=x86_64Darwin
    cd ref-impl && /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make
    cd aaflib && /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for all'. cd aafiid && /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make make[2]: Nothing to be done forall'.
    cd expat && /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make
    Generating dependencies for xmlrole.c
    clang: error: treating 'c' input as 'c++' when in C++ mode, this behavior is deprecated [-Werror,-Wdeprecated]
    Generating dependencies for xmltok.c
    clang: error: treating 'c' input as 'c++' when in C++ mode, this behavior is deprecated [-Werror,-Wdeprecated]
    Generating dependencies for xmlparse.c
    g++ -c -g -Wall -Wundef -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Werror -Wno-reorder -Wno-unused -D_DEBUG -DOM_DEBUG -DOM_STACK_TRACE_ON_ASSERT -fsigned-char -DOM_USE_SCHEMASOFT_SS -DOM_STRUCTURED_STORAGE -fexceptions -DHAVE_EXPAT_CONFIG_H -arch x86_64 -I. xmlparse.c -o ../../AAFx86_64DarwinSDK/g++/ref-impl/debug/xmlparse.o
    make[2]: [../../AAFx86_64DarwinSDK/g++/ref-impl/debug/xmlparse.o] Error 1
    make[1]:
    [all] Error 2
    make: *** [ref-impl] Error 2

• Xavier Canalda

Xavier Canalda - 2019-01-04

Hi Jim,
    thanks for your response.

What if I try first to make a functional prototype with the python library pyaaf2, is that a good idea?
    Thanks.

• Xavier Canalda

Xavier Canalda - 2019-01-04

Last edit: Xavier Canalda 2019-01-04
  • Jim Trainor

Jim Trainor - 2019-01-07

I can't say one way or another regarding python. I've never used the python wrapper. I do know the avid2018 branch works fine. I'm using it now.

• Xavier Canalda

Xavier Canalda - 2019-01-10

Thanks Jim,
    So, I'm in OS Sierra 10.12.2 and Xcode 8.

Does it have anything to do with the OS version? I mean, installing Mojave will fix the clang error?
    Sorry, I'm a little lost.

uname -v
    Darwin Kernel Version 16.3.0: Thu Nov 17 20:23:58 PST 2016; root:xnu-3789.31.2~1/RELEASE_X86_64

clang -v
    Apple LLVM version 8.0.0 (clang-800.0.42.1)
    Target: x86_64-apple-darwin16.3.0

• Jim Trainor

Jim Trainor - 2019-01-10

Yes, you may get an error with compiler that nobody has tested yet. The 1.1.6 AAF code is quite old at this point. It's probably and easy to fix, however. Look for a command line option that disables this error:

I have not tested, but I think you need to add "-x c++" to command line of g++ command. Open the build/pdefs-x86_64Darwin.mk and add it to the PLATFORM_CFLAGS. It may help. If not, then that's the general direction.