Menu

Delete a semicolon at a specific position?

Gôm
2009-09-09
2012-11-13
  • Gôm

Gôm - 2009-09-09

Hi!

I'm french so excuse my poor level in English! ;)

I would like to delete a semicolon at a specific position in a huge CSV file (180.000 lines).

How can I do this in Notepad++ (Excel 2003 can't of course open my file which > 65.000 lines)?

I think I could register a macro where I'll use a regular expression (regexp) to find the semicolon which is at the 71st position of each line and delete it. Then I launch this macro in a loop.

But ... I don't know how write this regexp!

Could you help me please?

Thanks.

Gôm

• Gôm

Gôm - 2009-09-09

I made a mistake, this semicolon is not "at the 71st position". I must delete the 71st semicolon which could be at the 71st position the 90th, the 166th, etc.

• Adam

Adam - 2009-09-09

You can't do this in notepad++ (it's regex engine sucks) but here is the regex to do it if you have access to a better tool that uses perl regular expressions

s/^((?:[^;]*;){70}[^;]*);/\1/

#  Example -- this removes the 8th ';'
        perl -e "my $t=q{;d;fd;d;a;sd;df;fd;a;as;sd;f;d;aadsf;;fea;fs;;;;aef;se;}; $t =~ s/^((?:[^;]*;){7}[^;]*);/\1/; print $t"

;d;fd;d;a;sd;df;fd;a;as;sd;f;d;aadsf;;fea;fs;;;;aef;se;
        ;d;fd;d;a;sd;df;fda;as;sd;f;d;aadsf;;fea;fs;;;;aef;se;

• Adam

Adam - 2009-09-09

Forgot to mention... this exact command will do what you want:

perl -pe "s/^((?:[^;]*;){7}[^;]*);/\1/;" {your filename goes here}

You can get perl for windows here (http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/)

• cchris

cchris - 2009-09-09

I'd have suggested sed or awk for the job, but the idea is the same: it is a scripting language which will do it.

However, using the NppExec plugin, you can launvh the script from Notepad++, and even edit it at the same time with Notepad++ too. I haven't played with this much, but it could be a powerful combo.

CChris

• Gôm

Gôm - 2009-09-10

@lespea: Thank you very much!!!

I tried: perl -pe "s/^((?:[^;]*;){7}[^;]*);/\1/;" {your filename goes here}, but it doesn't work.

I think the right syntax is: perl -pe "s/^((?:[^;]*;){7}[^;]*);/\1/; {your filename goes here}" ... but I'm trying and no result in return for the moment!?

Note: I installed Perl and execute your script like this:

C:\Perl\bin>perl -pe "s/^((?:[^;]*;){7}[^;]*);/\1/; {my_file.csv}"

"my_file.csv" is of course in "C:\Perl\bin" ... at the beginning I thought the problem was the path "C:\Temp\my_file.csv" so I put the file directly in the same directory than "perl.exe".

@cchris: Thanks too! ;)

• Gôm

Gôm - 2009-09-10

My mistake ... the correct syntax is:

perl -pe "s/^((?:[^;]*;){7}[^;]*);/\1/;" my_file.csv

I'm ashamed!

• Gôm

Gôm - 2009-09-10

Another problem ... I see the correct result in DOS, but my original file is never updated!?

Where am I wrong again? :(

• Dave Brotherstone

just stick

> newfile.txt

on the end of your command, and it will dump the output to the newfile.txt.

• Gôm

Gôm - 2009-09-10

C:\>perl -pe "s/^((?:[^;]*;){70}[^;]*);/\1/;" C:\Temp\my_file.csv > C:\Temp\my_file_new.csv

Hurraaaaaaaaaah!

Thank you everybody: lespea, cchris and davegb3!

Long life to Notepad++ and Perl! ;)