Menu

FTP_SYNC = Dead says maintainer!

digitsix
2009-08-23
2012-11-14
  • digitsix

digitsix - 2009-08-23

Well more or less anyway... I have asked him for a copy of the source so that I can maybe take a try at fixing it up a little bit anyway. I cant say I'll produce anything worth while but I figure its worth a shot. I really - REALLY need a stable ftp module for this thing...

If anyone else if familiar with programming these things wants to help out please chime in.

Anyway here is a copy of what he said in reply to my email...

Hello Rick,

As you have noticed, development has more or less stopped. For some reason, I cannot get myself to continue working on it (or start anew with SSL/SSH support), probably because FTP_s is just to frustrating to maintain (its extremely buggy, and when I wrote it I had not such a good grasp of both networking and threading).

So:

> - Are you aware of theses issues?
    Yes, I get about one mail about it once a week on average ;).

> - Are you planning on fixing them?
    I was, but I think a rewrite is a better idea, I just can't seem to get to it.

> - If not, how do we go about getting someone else to pick up the project?
    I believe someone on the forums once mentioned about starting on it, but I never heard about it since..

> - If you are, is it possible to get some sort of road map / schedule / eta
    > on these stability fixes?
    Nothing of the sorts.

> - Realistically how much time a week can/do you put in to this? (just an
    > honest question so I can gauge on my own when to expect fixes)
    It's hard to say, I'm still at college and workload varies by the week.
    Can: evenings mostly
    Do: Nothing

This vacation I tried to get started again but this time using OpenSSL and the Ultimate TCP/IP Toolbox which should make things quite more reliable (because then its not an half-assed attempt at writing yet another ftp client implementation), but then my part time job just got full time :).

Best regards,

Harry

• Ivan.Zhang

Ivan.Zhang - 2009-08-24

have you got the latest source code(0.9.6.1)?
      I have sent a mail to the author but no response...

• digitsix

digitsix - 2009-08-25

Yes, his response was to get it from the CVS - he has an update that never made it in he said, something about a missing backslash regarding a bug with directory caching or something but he lost / mis-placed it so anyway it never made it in so the current source is still the current source.

I just downloaded TortoiseCVS for windows and set it up and I was able to fetch the src tree from sourceforge... Then I had to find and install visual studio .net 2003 (thats what the project was written in).

Anyway I just got it up and running and looked around a bit.... I havent looked at or written C++ in about 10 years and even then, I wasnt much good at it. My general understand and knowledge of programming has greatly improved since then though, so I might, MIGHT be able to figure this out.

Its a lot of code though, phew!

Hit me up on AIM if you are confused on how to get the source, it took me a bit to figure it out on windows. (root overflow)

Its gonna take me a while just to get familiar with the code enough to do anything productive :(

• Ivan.Zhang

Ivan.Zhang - 2009-08-26

hi, could you please send a copy of the source code to me ?
      thanks.

xjzhang1979@gmail.com

• Matt Rose

Matt Rose - 2009-08-26

Suppose this is as good a place as any to post a bug, then:

ftp_synchronize messes up permissions on linux servers. Everything is being saved to the server as 751. I can create a 750 file, edit it remotely using notepad++, save the update, and suddenly the file is 751. Same with 640 files. I can't find an option to get the tfp_sync to not touch permissions when saving, as I don't want it to do so. Any chance you can fix this behavior?

• Ivan.Zhang

Ivan.Zhang - 2009-08-27

oesor, which ftp_sync version do you use?
      I use the latest version 0.9.6.1, it seems no your issue.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2009-08-27

If you are going to continue develop ftp_synchronizer I would be really glad if you would overlook negative values for it.
      Problem related: https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=3369972&forum_id=482781

Thanks! =D

• Matt Rose

Matt Rose - 2009-08-27

xjzhang, I'm using the version packed with NPP 5.4.5 unicode. The DLL reports version 0.9.6.1 (File version item is 0.9.6.1 ALPHA), 178,688 bytes 2008-09-06 on top of XP SP3.

• Matt Rose

Matt Rose - 2009-08-27

Although, I just tested it, and it seems to not be an issue with FTP sync, other clients are doing it as well. Time to dig through the ftpd settings for this server, argh.