Menu

plain text

John Wight
2009-07-15
2012-11-13
  • John Wight

John Wight - 2009-07-15

I just Dled NPPTextFX.v0.25.src as zipped. I then unzipped it in
    a folder called \Notepad++\plugins folder. 

<To install this plugin, unpack NPPTextFX.DLL and NPPTextFX\*.HTM;*.TXT ;*.INI to the plugins folder in the N++ install folder then load N++. Delete those files without N++ running to remove the plugin. If everything is working, a Plugins menu will appear and the new tool should be listed under it.<

How do I use a plain text. I have 70 chars in this email. but the
    message says 300 chars.

Why?

• cchris

cchris - 2009-07-19

They are not the same.
      Spaces can occur inside of a literal string for instance, so thy must count.
      Tabs may separate columns of text, so they should too.

Line terminators are here, so they must count in a number of bytes selected. However, changing the file format doesn't change the text inside, just its binary representation. So changing CR+LF to LF shouldn't count as a character number change. Formatting in UTF-9 wil cause an &eacute; to be coded on two bytes, while it would fit on 1 byte if in ANSI: thuis shouldn't count as char number either.

Perhaps something like: Total characters: 261 (284 bytes) is useful. I don't know if the status bar is long enough. Or leave a true character count, and have HexEditor report the number of bytes, I'd go for this one.

CChris

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2009-07-19

If you are só concerned about counting only real characters, then you should also exclude all space and tab characters. They do not really change the appearance of the text and when using a type writer all you really put to paper are "real" character strokes.

I guess no-one really cares if the space between two characters is only one tab or a number of space characters, either, if CR and LF pairs are not to be counted by their number of bytes. When you change those, the file changes, the number of bytes changes. The same goes for the space characters, and also for whichever UTF setting.

• cchris

cchris - 2009-07-15

Where do the counts come from?

CChris

• John Wight

John Wight - 2009-07-15

>Where do the counts come from?

CChris >

I use notepad++ and at  the bottom it  saids 300 chars for line something.

• cchris

cchris - 2009-07-16

Try turning "Show all symbols" on; I bet there is plenty of whitespace which accounts for the 300 chars you are seeing. Character counts include CR/LF pairs.

CChris

• John Wight

John Wight - 2009-07-17

>Try turning "Show all symbols" on; I bet there is plenty of whitespace which accounts for the 300 chars you are seeing. Character counts include CR/LF pairs.

CChris>

How do I find "Show all symbols"?

• cchris

cchris - 2009-07-17

View -> Show symbol -> Show all characters

CChris

• John Wight

John Wight - 2009-07-18

<View -> Show symbol -> Show all characters

CChris >

Kids
      -------------------------

While walking along the sidewalk in front of his church, the
      minister
      heard the intoning of a prayer that nearly made his collar wilt.
      Apparently, his five-year-old son and his playmates had found a
      dead
      robin.

still not 70 char.  CRLF is what I get

• John Wight

John Wight - 2009-07-18

>To install this plugin, unpack NPPTextFX.DLL and NPPTextFX\*.HTM;*.TXT ;*.INI to the plugins folder in the N++ install folder then load N++. Delete those files without N++ running to remove the plugin. If everything is working, a Plugins menu will appear and the new tool should be listed under it.>

This is what I used before. 300 chars.

• cchris

cchris - 2009-07-18

About the text:
      I find 261 chars by copying and pasting your post. Since the forum eats leading whitespace, and possibly trailing whitespace too 300 seems a reasonable figure. Why do you think there should be 70 chars?

The first text line is 71 char llong. If you wish to know its length, select it and check the Sel counter. It will report 73 chars because of the CR/LF, which it shouldn't - my patch corrects this.

If what you'd like is setting a guide to guard against runaway long lines, use Settings -> Preferences -> Edit Components -> Vertical edge setting to enable marking and set where it should start and how it should show.

CChris

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2009-07-18

> It will report 73 chars because of the CR/LF, which it shouldn't - my patch corrects this.

Why shouldn't CR LF pairs be counted as two characters? They are there. Just like white spaces and tabs, which I assume you also will not count as the number of space characters they "occupy" in the layout.

• cchris

cchris - 2009-07-18

Ok I got it now.

What you are seeing is: nb char: 261 (or hatever) nb lineS: 9

9 is not a line number, but a line count, how many lines the document has. Rhe current line and column counter are shown on the panel right to the one you were looking, as well as the selectied char count.

HTH
      CChris

• John Wight

John Wight - 2009-07-18

Ok.

I Still want the CRLF to be at every 71 chars. Not every so many selected char count.