Menu

How do I insert DOS formfeed characters?

2009-06-30
2012-11-13
  • Norman Heyen

Norman Heyen - 2009-06-30

Is it possible to insert a DOS FF character that will actually cause a page break? It looks like there is a place in the Extended Search Mode in the Search and Replace screen but I can't find the correct string for the formfeed.

Can someone give me a hand? I need to get the pages to break on a formatted text document so the pages are aligned with the format included in the document.

Thanks!
    Norman

• cchris

cchris - 2009-06-30

There is a Scintilla command called SCI_FORMFEED on the shortcut mapper. It has no default keyboard binding, but you can set one up.

To use FF in search/replace extended mode, code it as \x12

CChris

• Norman Heyen

Norman Heyen - 2009-07-02

Thanks CChris,

This did what you said but not really what I needed. What I have is the output from an AS400 that has been formatted so that it will print correctly on 'green bar' paper. It appears there are a different number of lines per page and I've been requested to convert this to a PDF with the page breaks matching the actual pages.

The original file has the characters FF in inverse type (black background, white text) that I assumed was a formfeed. But when I convert to PDF, this seems to be ignored. Using the \x012, the FF gets converted to a DC2 (also inverted) and this to is ignored by Adobe Acrobat 7.

Maybe I'm just not asking the right question. How can I convert this to match the report format to a PDF without having Page xxx in the middle of a display page? I'm at a loss and not sure what else to try.

Thanks again, and sorry for the delay. I spent the last 8 hours in a conference room staring at PowerPoint slides. Maybe my brain is just in deep coma but it doesn't seem to be as simple as I hoped.

Norman

• TanMan

TanMan - 2009-07-02

[OT]

Norman,

You can generate PDF's directly on your AS/400, but unfortunately it's a bit involved. However, a quick google found this:

http://www.spoolfactory.com/Index_En.html

It's free and it'll convert spool files to PDF for you.

Enjoy.

P.S. Since this is not N++ related, if you care to discuss this more, contact me directly (htanner at gmail dot com).

• cchris

cchris - 2009-07-02

Depending on your PDF converter, I'd remove the form feeds and configure the number of lines per page. FF was working on old matrix printers, but I wonder if it is of any use now.

CChris