Menu

*.cmd editing, with oem/ascii characters

vlakoff
2009-06-04
2012-11-13
  • vlakoff

vlakoff - 2009-06-04

Hi,

I regularly develop batch scripts (*.cmd). As you know, these files use old dos oem/ascii charset. This is important when, as a French, I have to use accentuated characters.

When selecting the default "Batch file" editing mode, the charset used is ansi, so accentuated characters are wrong. But if I switch to "NFO" style, the charset used is the good oem/ascii one. But in this case I lose the syntax coloring.

I was wondering how, editing styles, I could combine the advantage of both display modes and get batch syntax coloring with ascii charset.

Thank you for your help, vlaKoff

• cchris

cchris - 2009-06-05

I'd try using Terminal, Fixedsys or some similar font for highlighting DEFAULT Batch style element. Or anything with OEM encoding.

CChris

• vlakoff

vlakoff - 2009-06-05

thank you,

Fixedsys doesn't work, but yes Terminal does work.

however this font isn't very scalable, it is far less confortable to use than the default Courrier New... moreover I zoom in/out a lot

since NFO style displays accents ok with Courrier New, it's very likely some trick can be found to use it for batch editing with accents...

see you

• cchris

cchris - 2009-06-06

Try the following macro, to be inserted in the <Macros> section of shortcuts.xml. Edit preferrably with Notepad, N++ being closed:

<Macro name="OEM_charset" Ctrl="yes" Alt="yes" Shift="no" Key="100">
                  <Action type="0" message="2066" wParam="32" lParam="255" sParam="" />
              </Macro>

Then reopen Notepad++, and fire the macro.

The following macro reverts the change:
              <Macro name="ANSI_charset" Ctrl="yes" Alt="yes" Shift="no" Key="101">
                  <Action type="0" message="2066" wParam="32" lParam="0" sParam="" />
              </Macro>

Change key bindings from Shortcut mapper as you see fit.

Not tested, but should work _if your font supports the OEM character set_.

CChris

• cchris

cchris - 2009-06-06

Apparently, you must fire the macro first, then change font. And change it twice so that the change is being seen.

CChris

• vlakoff

vlakoff - 2009-06-09

Thank you CChris

I confirm the change is not immediate and does need font switching after the macro has been run

However I currently still consider "edit.com" as the simplest way to edit accents in my files... lol

See you