Menu

Find in files crashes on large directories

cchris
2009-04-30
2012-11-13
  • cchris

cchris - 2009-04-30

If the directory in which you perform a search has many files selected by the file filter, then basic find in files may crash with Access violation code 0xC0000005. N++ attempts to save whatever it can, proposes to dump a crash file, and then Windows (XP SP3) issues 3 problem reports. Recursing into subfolders obviously makes crashes more likely. Try to find text in <Program Files> with recusion and filter=*.* to reproduce.

Making the file filter more selective usually solves this.

Perhaps N++ should warn user and cancel whenthe temporary memory allocation overwhelms the available resources.

CChris
    Using 5.4RC unicode, not sure about 5.3.1

• Y N

Y N - 2009-05-02

Hi,

I think I know what the problem is, and I already fixed it. There was a bug when finding results in binary files where the Null character (0x00) appears in the middle of the line (before the \n character) where the result is found.

Thell Fowler - is it possible you're using the ANSI version of NPP?

Anyway, I'll need to speak with Don and see if I can commit the fix (but I think he is on his vacation now).

• Thell Fowler

Thell Fowler - 2009-05-04

No; it was unicode.  No matter now, though, that you have a fix.

• Thell Fowler

Thell Fowler - 2009-04-30

I just tried a search for 'log' in <Program Files> with filter of *.* and after 20 minutes cancelled it with 56290 hits in 3251 files.

• cchris

cchris - 2009-05-02

I have only 1,024Mo RAM here. If you have more, that could explain.

CChris

• Y N

Y N - 2009-05-04

I'm pretty sure I've fixed it. It'll be included in the next release.