Don HO
2009-04-28
2012-11-13
1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)
  • Don HO

Don HO - 2009-04-28

Notepad++ v5.4 RC is available here :
    http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/commun/misc/npp.bin.5.4.RC.zip

There are a lot of goodies in v5.4, one of them is google chrome tab drag and drop feature : it allows user to drag out a tab to move/open the current document in a new instance. It's useful if you have 2 or more displays.

Another goody is theme selector (located in Style Configurator dialog) which allows users to switch theme (styles.xml) on the fly.

The built-in Change lines markers feature is removed from this version. Instead, the ChangeMarker Plugin of Thell (aka AlmostAutomated) is included in this release. ChangeMarker plugins, which works seamless with Notepad++, has more features (jump to...)  and works better than the built-in one.

New compact menu structure, enhanced file history, 5 more styles to mark different occurences (context menu)... I let you discover the other goodies.

As usual, post here the found regressions or unstable issues.

Don

• cchris

cchris - 2009-05-10

> also, I find the website here very confusing - there seems to be several ways to find all the downloads/plugins - and just as many ways NOT to find/get the plugins

> not a complaint, just a fact

This is why Greg and I have been working on the newer wiki so that it becomes a centralised information repository.

I think the list at https://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/notepad-plus/index.php?title=Plugin_central is complete as of today, but for the following issues:

1/ I didn't check all the current ANSI versions yet; some may well be inaccurate. Unicode versions should be right.
      2/ A couple plugins have been excluded because they were known to duplicate a functionality that is now standard in NP++. Or some for which tests were announced, then no release anouncemet.
      3/ I had thought about putting external lexers in a distinct category, but will probably recant. So, at least the KVS lexer by garthex is missing, will add back today.

The organisation of the new wiki is still being discussed, and thee are still areas with wide holes.

If anyone viewing that page notices an error or omission, then the wiki principle applies: log on and correct it yourself. Copy and paste is the simplest way to keep formatting consistent, unless you wish to change the format of course :-)

I'll post this on the Plugin Development forum right away, in an exceptional break to the good practice of avoiding cross posting.

CChris

• Thell Fowler

Thell Fowler - 2009-05-12

Chris,

IMO having a lang specific area for UDLs, ext lexers, and now even themes is a great idea.

BTW:

3/ I had thought about putting external lexers in a distinct category, but will probably recant. So, at least the KVS lexer by garthex is missing, will add back today.

Incorrect attribution to garthex, should be almostautomated; and this lexer needs updating for unicode.

almostautomated

• Thell Fowler

Thell Fowler - 2009-04-28

Theme selector is a fantastic feature!  Woohoo!

Now, something many others may not know or remember being announced in the forums almost a year ago is the 'Textmate Themes for Notepad++' converter by Fabio Nagao.

The link for the converter can be found in the original thread at:
      https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=5096962

Many TextMate themes can be found at:
      http://wiki.macromates.com/Themes/UserSubmittedThemes

Give this feature a try!!

almostautoamted

ps - the themes are _not_ applied to styles for external lexers.

• Y N

Y N - 2009-04-28

Hi Don,

"Global override" appears twice in "Vibrant Ink.xml" and not at all in "Ruby Blue.xml"
      Also, "Ruby Blue.xml" seems much shorter than the others (lacking many languages).

And what about a full changelog? this way people can concentrate on the changes and test them better :)

Thanks for the hard work!

• Don HO

Don HO - 2009-04-28

Fixed.
        It'll be in v5.4 OR.

Don

• Don HO

Don HO - 2009-04-28

> And what about a full changelog? this way people can concentrate on the changes and test them better :) 

OK, here we go.

Notepad++ v5.4 new features and fixed bugs (from v5.3.1) :

1. Add theme selector to switch styles.xml on the fly, change styles.xml on one click.
        2. Add google chrome drag and derop tab feature : drag out tab to create a new instance, transfer documents among several instances by drag and drop.
        3. Add Mark all extension : user can mark any occurrence with 5 different colours.
        4. Add new feature : column selection allows to insertion a string by typing characters in sequence (w/o column mode editor).
        5. Fixed crash bug : Double click a file associated with an older version of Notepad++ while a newer version of Notepad++ instance is running.
        6. Improve main menu structure (more compact). Language Menu can be compacted as well (optional, in Preference dialog).
        7. line numbers margin width is changed dynamically according to the needed space (but keeping at least 3 digits).
        8. File history list (under the File menu) is limited to 100 characters per item. Longer file names are fitted to 100 characters by replacing path components with ellipses.
        9. Update Scintilla from v1.75 to v1.77.
        10. Fixed two bugs when calculating the width of the TaskList (document list when pressing ctrl+tab or right-click + mouse wheel.
        11. Add an (hidden) option to make the "Filters" and "Directory" fields follow the current opened document in "Find in files" dialog. The new parameters are located in config.xml and are called: "fifFilterFollowsDoc" and "fifFolderFollowsDoc" (set to "yes"/"no")
        12. Add new command parameters : -c (column) -x et -y (startup position).
        13. Remove change line marker which does not work correctly. Include ChangeMarkers plugin instead.
        14. Fix bug "Switch to found results window" command now switches back to the current edit view if the focus is already on the found results.
        15. Fix the search result inaccurate colorization bug.
        16. Fix the Mark all in selection bug (while Find Replace Dialog loosing the focus).
        17. Add 2 plugins messages : NPPN_FILEBEFORELOAD and NPPN_FILELOADFAILED.
        18. Fix New document not be switched while double clicking in Find in files result panel.
        19. Fix conversion min to Maj and Maj to min (or vice et versa) in column selection bug. 

Included plugins (Unicode):

1. TextFX v0.26
        2. NppExec v0.3 RC1
        3. Spell Checker v1.3.2
        4. MIME Tools v1.5
        5. FTP_synchronize v0.9.6
        6. NppExport v0.2.8
        7. Doc Monitor v2.2
        8. NppNetNote v0.1
        9. ChangeMarkers 1.1.0

Included plugins (ANSI):

1.  TextFX v0.25
        2.  NppExec v0.3 RC1
        3.  Spell Checker v1.3.1
        4.  MIME Tools v1.5
        5.  FTP_synchronize v0.9.6
        6.  NppExport v0.2.8
        7.  Light Explorer v1.5
        8.  Doc Monitor v2.2
        9.  NppNetNote v0.1
        10. ChangeMarkers 1.1.0

Don

• Y N

Y N - 2009-04-28

Hi again Don, did you see there's a new scintilla release - 1.78?

http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaHistory.html

• Don HO

Don HO - 2009-04-28

I just saw it.
        There are a lot of interesting features and new lexers in v1.78.

However, Notepad++ v5.4 and v5.4.X will stick with v1.77.
        v1.78 will be included in v5.5 and upper version.

Don

• Leon Sorokin

Leon Sorokin - 2009-04-28

i was just about to make a separate thread announcing this : )

though i see that we're at 5.4RC is at v1.77 finally, which is great news.

Leon

• Thell Fowler

Gosh...  1.78 was only announced just over an hour ago.  It has taken this long to get N++ up to 1.77 so let us rejoice in the good news for just a while.

• Jan Schreiber

Jan Schreiber - 2009-04-28

Great work, thanks guys! AFAIK, the currently used scintilla can draw indentation guides in completely empty lines (without leading spaces/tabs), like in this mock-up: http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9559/scintilla.jpg
      Is there a hidden setting that would allow me to enable this behavior in N++?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2009-04-28

janschreiber,
        View - "Show White Space and TAB" and the two below should do what you want.

• Jan Schreiber

Jan Schreiber - 2009-04-28

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I meant a continuous indent guide that is not interrupted by empty lines.

• Thell Fowler

I agree with Jan; this is a benefit of updating to Sci 1.77 and should be taken advantage of.

The question still remains as to which value to set it to.  The Sci documentation ( http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaDoc.html#SCI_SETINDENTATIONGUIDES )

An extra attrib to the language node in the style xml with a default of SC_IV_REAL if not set?

I played around with using the two new values on an xml and cpp doc; when the value was set to SC_IV_LOOKFORWARD there was a noticeable lag in response time after switching views, the lag was still there; but hardly noticeable when using SC_IV_LOOKBOTH.

almostautomated

if anyone else wants to play with it:
            line 299 of ScintillaEditView.h:
            execute(SCI_SETINDENTATIONGUIDES, (WPARAM)willBeShowed?(SC_IV_LOOKBOTH):(SC_IV_NONE));

• Don HO

Don HO - 2009-04-28

Nice.
              It'll be in v5.4 OR.

Don

• xm

xm - 2009-04-28

Great news!

Any chance for an updated English.xml translation file for us translators?

There are so many changes and I see, that some (new menu aggregator items like Edit->Indent) has the resource ID == 0.

• Jan Schreiber

Jan Schreiber - 2009-04-29

> Any chance for an updated English.xml translation file for > us translators? 
        Yes, please! The Edit menu is broken if an old localization file is used.
        My usual method of using Resource Hacker (http://angusj.com/resourcehacker) to find the IDs fails for this build. I've even browsed through the source files, but I'm afraid I am not good enough at C++ to find what I need.

• xm

xm - 2009-04-29

> The Edit menu is broken if an old localization file is used.
          -----------------
          Yep, not only the Edit menu, I have noticed some problems in the Search one too (missed entries when used the localization file...).

I checked the Notepad++ source - the new menu-groups are in fact named popup menu-items, which means that they have not resource identifiers (rsrc numbers). Look e.g. for the "Copy to clipboard" one in the ".\PowerEditor\src\Notepad_plus.rc" file.

• xm

xm - 2009-04-29

sorry, in the previous post I mean the"View" menu, not the "Search one" - when I use my 5.3.1 Czech language file the "View -> Synchronize Horizontal Scrolling" is gone...

• joergenr

joergenr - 2009-04-30

Hi Localizers

This is what I found in version 5.4RC.
          New strings:

<SubEntries>
          <Item posX = "1" posY = "8" name = "Copy to clipboard"/>
          <Item posX = "1" posY = "9" name = "Indent"/>
          <Item posX = "1" posY = "10" name = "Convert case"/>
          <Item posX = "1" posY = "11" name = "Line operations"/>
          <Item posX = "1" posY = "12" name = "Comment/Uncomment"/>
          <Item posX = "1" posY = "13" name = "Auto-completion"/>
          <Item posX = "2" posY = "11" name = "Mark all"/>
          <Item posX = "2" posY = "12" name = "Unmark all"/>
          <Item posX = "3" posY = "4" name = "Show Symbol"/>
          <Item posX = "3" posY = "6" name = "Move/Clone current document"/>
          <Item posX = "3" posY = "16" name = "Collapse level"/>
          <Item posX = "3" posY = "17" name = "Uncollapse level"/>
          </SubEntries>

<Item id = "6507" name = "Make Language Menu compact"/>
          <Item id = "2306" name = "Switch to theme : "/>Switch to theme :

<Item id = "43022" name = "Using 1st style"/>
          <Item id = "43024" name = "Using 2nd style"/>
          <Item id = "43026" name = "Using 3rd style"/>
          <Item id = "43028" name = "Using 4th style"/>
          <Item id = "43030" name = "Using 5th style"/>
          <Item id = "43023" name = "Clear 1st style"/>
          <Item id = "43025" name = "Clear 2nd style"/>
          <Item id = "43027" name = "Clear 3rd style"/>
          <Item id = "43029" name = "Clear 4th style"/>
          <Item id = "43031" name = "Clear 5th style"/>
          <Item id = "43032" name = "Clear all styles"/>

Removed string:

Item id = "6223"

Jørgen Rasmussen

• cchris

cchris - 2009-04-28

Very nice job overall! (see below :-) )

Compact menus: just what I was looking for! If you could apply the same treatment to TextFX -> Convert, Edit and Viz, that would be even better.

Themes are a very nice idea. However, if you change a color in one theme, for some language*style element pair,
      like C++ * COMMENT,
      and then switch to another theme, if only to experiment, then
      - your change does not stick in the new theme - expected, let's say
      - the change is lost when rolling back to previous theme - not expected.

The integration of the Change Markers Plugin is an excellent idea so far.

Tab DnD: I wonder if the following is expected. Given notice, it is not bad, actually:
      1/ drag a tab outside N++. Another instance opens, with only that document. Great.
      2/ Drag that other tab back into initial document. The second instance then close with a ding.wav sound. Some may expect it to remain empty, as other docs might be opened in it.
      Otherwise, it is  a nice feature.

Note that I have never played with "Go to other instance" when there are 3 or more opened already.

More input later.

CChris

• Thell Fowler

Christian,

"Compact menus: just what I was looking for! If you could apply the same treatment to TextFX -> Convert, Edit and Viz, that would be even better."

This will require support for cascading menus for plugins.  Which, when implemented, will be nice indeed!

"Themes are a very nice idea. However, if you change a color in one theme, for some language*style element pair, 
        like C++ * COMMENT,
        and then switch to another theme, if only to experiment, then
        - your change does not stick in the new theme - expected, let's say
        - the change is lost when rolling back to previous theme - not expected."

When you make a change to a theme and then switch to a different theme are you _not_ getting a pop-up dialog informing you that unsaved changes will be discarded?

Can anyone else confirm that this pop-up is _not_ being displayed, because I sure see it.

almostautomated

• Don HO

Don HO - 2009-04-28

> When you make a change to a theme and then switch to a
          > different theme are you _not_ getting a pop-up dialog
          > informing you that unsaved changes will be discarded?

I did get a message box to ask me if I want to save settings.

Don

• cchris

cchris - 2009-04-28

I must have done something wrong when I copied the 5.4 files, because now I get the dialog, and could save the change. When I wrote my post I sure didn't get it, and the change was lost.

So it's a good feature after all :-)

Could be the same sort of mix-up that caused alt-f5 to fail and then work again.

CChris
      PS: I'm not sure I'm able to link a stock pcre.dll with N++ to process regular expression in a "reasonable" way, ie with ? | { } enabled, but that would be a tremendous goody from Scintilla v1.77.

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)