Menu

Gtags and Ctags based search.

2009-04-28
2012-11-14
  • Mohan Kumar S

Mohan Kumar S - 2009-04-28

Hi Friends,
    I have started development of a plugin for gtags and ctags based search for notepad++.

I have hosted the initial version @ http://gtagfornplus.sourceforge.net

Please try and give me your feedback!

Thanks & Regards,
    Mohan S

• Mohan Kumar S

Mohan Kumar S - 2009-04-28

Forgot to mention... It uses code from NPPSVN and MultiClipboard plugins. Thanks to the authors for those excelent plugins!

• hypor bao

hypor bao - 2009-04-28

there is something wrong with my notepad++ after installing it
      a error as below:
      http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5yCvMfoO3mk/SfcNr6k21BI/AAAAAAAAAHE/ZzYY1owbTGw/somethingiswrong.JPG

• hypor bao

hypor bao - 2009-04-28

i've tried it under unicode and ansi version of notepad++, and got the same result.

• cchris

cchris - 2009-04-28

I have had the very same problem with a totally unrelated plugin, NppJavaScript.dll.

The suggestion by the author was that some MSVC runtime libraries might be missing. I couldn't install them on this machine, and they were probably already on my home computer, where the plugin has worked fine.

Here is a quote from the relevant post:

Could it be that you don't have the Visual C++ 2005 runtime libraries?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE

CChris

• hypor bao

hypor bao - 2009-04-28

i've noticed that, and i install the vc2005 and vc2008 runtime library,unfortunately it does not work either.

• Mohan Kumar S

Mohan Kumar S - 2009-04-29

Is it because I have a debug build?
      I will try it on my friends machine with no VC++ and get back...

• Mohan Kumar S

The problem is due to debug build of visual studio. I have done a release build and updated the sourceforge release page. Hope you can test again and mention if it works!

Mohan S

• hypor bao

hypor bao - 2009-04-29

it works now.
      i suggest add the word "unicode" to the package name,due to distinguish it from "ansi".

• hypor bao

hypor bao - 2009-04-29

btw,how does it use the tags generated by ctags?
      a simple manual is very useful for us.

Thank you!

there is another plugin about tags:
      https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=145032

• Mohan Kumar S

my component uses gtags to find references to a function. It uses ctags to find the exact usage of the function in a file.

Well, its quite simple to use. Make sure you have global and ctags are running from plugins\gtagfornplus directory. Then create both gtags and ctags repository in you code root.

Now fire notepad++ and press ctrl+alt+a. This makes the search window visible. Open a source file and select a function. Now press ctrl+atl+b. This finds defenition of the function and is listed in one of the below listboxes. Double clicking on the entry will take you to the file and line number.

If you select a function and press ctrl+alt+c, it will give all the references to that function. This is listed in the first list box. Clicking on an entry will populate the next list box with filename, function names and lien number from which this searched function is called. Double clicking it takes to that file and line.

I use it with light explorer plugin to give me more IDE like feel!

I am working on two things now. Having the search window resizable and generating tags from inside the editor itself.

Thats all i have implemented for now. If you have some nice feature in mind, tell me and I will see if I can implement it.

-Mohan S

• Jan Schreiber

Jan Schreiber - 2009-04-29

Would be nice if easy support for user defined function expressions could be added, perhaps similar to the way Programmer's Notepad does it. Due to its user-definable languages, N++ is often used for rarely used languages that are not natively supported by ctags.