Menu

NOTEPAD ++ SUCKS!!!

Ki none
2009-04-24
2012-11-13
  • Ki none

Ki none - 2009-04-24

Yes, I signed up to source forge just to let you know that NOTEPADD++ is the bigest piece of garbage I have ever seen. And I know that opinions differ, so many of u will go on bashing me for such a statement. But let me explain why I think so:
    1 - I AM running the latest version
    2 - often uploads and refreshes using ftp plugin fail
    3 - When I use notepad for about 4-5 hours it crashes
    4 - MOST IMPORTANT - when uploading files, it freezes up, crashes and the file ends up a BLANK PAGE! Goodbye 300 lines of code and all the changes since last backup.

So for those of you looking to download it... keep in mind that you might end up doing more work with it

• Don HO

Don HO - 2009-04-24

> MOST IMPORTANT - when uploading files,
      > it freezes up, crashes and the file ends up a BLANK PAGE!
      > Goodbye 300 lines of code and all the changes since last backup.

Tested, it works for me.
      Have anyone encountered the same problem?

Don

• Bill Wire

Bill Wire - 2009-04-24

You are of course, entitled to your opinion.  Personally, I think it does a very good (not perfect) job, especially for the money I paid for it.  I see no particular reason to flame at you (even though you specifically ask for it.)

If you regularly have trouble utilizing a particular feature of the editor, why do you continue using that feature?  Obviously, there is a problem.  Instead of just tossing inflammatory comments, you could request assistance in tracking down the problem.  You know, it could very well be a COMBINATION of problems, not all of which are attributable to N++.

For example: You state it crashes on you every 4-5 hours.  I regularly leave it running ALL WEEK with a dozen files open, editing 8+ hours/day.  I have not had it crash yet even once.  Could there perhaps be a difference between your system and mine?  Bet there is or I'd be in the same place you are - looking for a new editor.

You're having trouble with FTP - I don't use that feature myself, but such things as you describe are often the result of misconfiguration of firewall settings and server options.  The fault of the plugin code may simply be in not handling the problems caused by something else gracefully.  I find it difficult to believe it is as fault-ridden as you claim for everybody.  The question then becomes "What is different about your setup that is exercising a little-used portion of the code?"

Since you're obviously frustrated beyond rational thought with N++, go look up an editor called SourceEdit.  It's freeware and "mostly stable".  It *has* been known to crash occasionally on my system when drag-n-drop operations are performed, YMMV - nobody else on their forum has the problem.  It has integrated FTP - and I *did* use the feature for a while when I utilized the editor and never had a problem with it. 

I switched to N++ very simply because SourceEdit is not portable.  N++ is.  (If you select the correct install option.) I had a new need to work on "other peoples machines" and a thumb-drive with familiar tools was my weapon of choice.  SourceEdit no longer met all my requirements.  N++ did.

There are still more free editors out there.  I'm sure you can do your own research to find what you need.  Or, you can stick with N++ and help the developers make it better by reporting your issues and helping them figure WTF.

-Bill Wire

• Fabio

Fabio - 2009-04-24

I can confirm that Notepad++ doesn't crash: I use it up to 8 hours every day and everything's fine. On the other hand, I've never tried the FTP plugin, so I don't know about it.

• Jocelyn Legault

Jocelyn Legault - 2009-04-24

I can tell you that yes, Notepad++ crashes on me from time to time.  That happens slmost strictly when I compare two files in Hex display...  But I've never lost even so far not even a single character.

Which brings me to a serious question: do you save regularly?? I mean, are you telling us that you're uploading a file with 300 lines of code change without having even saved it?! And if it was saved (several times I'd expect), I'd be surprised that crashing while uploading something to an FTP server would erase your file.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2009-04-24

> Notepad++ crashes on me from time to time. That happens slmost strictly when I compare two files in Hex display...

HexEditor is not part of Notepad++, but a plugin. It's often the cause of crash of Notepad++.

I suggest you to remove this plugin to maintain the stability of Notepad++.

Don

• Trpplayer79

Trpplayer79 - 2009-04-24

You may have your opinion but all the things you say are when you use the FTP plugin!
      I also use notepad++ for websites creation/maintenance but as FTP client I use filezilla and configured filezilla that notepad is my view/edit software. I never had the problems you say.
      When I change the code and save it, filezilla ask me if i want to upload the changed file.
      Maybe try this sollution before saying notepad++ is bad and that maqybe your problem is a plugin problem.

Greetz

• Ki none

Ki none - 2009-04-26

Ok everybody... Thanks for all your feedback and advice. I was/am prietty frustrated time to time with FTP feature of N++. It itslef N++ IS a great tool, but the FTP plugin is NOT recomended to anybody. It has problems with refreshing data from server (I occasionally have to click many times to see whats inside folder) And, yes, on occasion a file upoad does wipe out the data. I do use it however because it allows me to edit 'LIVE' environment on testing server, instead of having upload locally chaged files.

• Trpplayer79

Trpplayer79 - 2009-04-26

Whit the filezilla - notepad++ combination you can do the same.
        when you are connected with filezilla you can right click and select view/edit, this will open the in filezilla configured editor (for me notepad++).
        notepad++ opens the file and then you can edit it like normal.
        when you save the file, filezilla ask you if you want to upload the changed file or not so there is no real big difference between my solution and yours except that I use a stable (external) FTP software and you use the ftp plugin.

greetz

• DanyAlejandro

DanyAlejandro - 2009-04-26

Well it has always worked for me... maybe it's a problem with your PC / Internet connection?

• Leon Sorokin

Leon Sorokin - 2009-04-28

i've had a few issues with the FTP plugin in the past.

However, the main reason i stopped using it is for lack of secure FTP connections. I just use WebDrive and have the FTP securely mounted as a network drive - this essentially FTP-enables every app in Windoze through an encrypted tunnel...then just use LightExplorer plugin in NPP and eveything is peachy.

alternatively, yes you can use FileZilla or WinSCP if you don't need that tight of Win integration or need it to be portable.

Leon

• Nitin

Nitin - 2009-04-28

I think all free software comes with a term that says "Your mileage may vary". If you're willing to pay for a feature, you could put up a bounty and a developer can come along and fix whatever it is you need.

...or you can go with EditPlus, Textpad, or NoteTab Pro, all of which are commercial alternatives to Notepad++. I believe Notepad Pro is freeware, but it's not open-source.

It's unfair to compare free, open-source software with other commercial software that you use because free, open-source software is created by programmers who take time out of their daily routine to contribute to the development community, unlike commercial software which is developed by people who are paid to work at their computers all day.

• Bob Uncle

Bob Uncle - 2009-04-28

> I think all free software comes with a term that says "Your mileage may vary".

Personally, I think all software, free or not comes with that saying. I don't use the FTP feature I use NP++ as a text editor. To the point, I use NP++ without plug-ins.

I find it interesting that people bash a whole product for one minor portion of it. It would be like bashing all versions of Windows simply because MSPaint isn't very good for more than basic image editing. It doesn't make sense.

I am glad to see someone that complains about a product actually read the responses that the post creates. That at least is top shelf.