Menu

Vertical selection

Sadek
2009-03-20
2012-11-13
  • Sadek

Sadek - 2009-03-20

Hi all,

First, is it reasonable to make the following assumption about the use of vertical column selection?

If you select a column, and then press TAB, then that column and everything to the right of it should move one TAB space to the right.

This does not seem to work, as shown in the following page, copied from inside notepad++.

This is the original text:
    --------------------------
    hello world!
    hello world!
    hello world!
    hello world!

I want the columns to be arranged like the following paragraph: (I have arranged them manually here):
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hello                 world!

Here I will highlight the second column, and try to move it a few tab spaces to the right:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                hello world!
                hello world!
                hello world!
                hello world!
    Result: The whole line gets indented, not only the second columns. What is the advantage of vertical selection then?

I am looking for a capability similar to CodeWright's, but can't find it anywhere, I miss CodeWright :o(

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sadeq1

• Sadek

Sadek - 2009-03-20

Hi again,

This interface has removed all the tabs, so here is the sample again.

his is the original text:
      --------------------------
      hello world!
      hello world!
      hello world!
      hello world!

I want the columns to be arranged like the following paragraph: (I have arranged them manually here):
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      hello                   world!

Here I will highlight the second column, and try to move it a few tab spaces to the right:
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                 hello world!
                                 hello world!
                                 hello world!
                                 hello world!

Result: The whole line gets indented, not only the second columns. What is the advantage of vertical selection then?

• Sadek

Sadek - 2009-03-20

Hi again,

This message editor seems to reduce any consecutive spaces and TABs to a single space. This prevents me from explaining what my problem is. If you can guess what I am saying, then please reply.

The whole discussion is about spaces, but I cannot display it here. Ok, I have to go before I get fired.

Sadeq1

• Airdrik

Airdrik - 2009-03-20

Try using another character to represent the spaces (or tabs), like _ or -