Menu

Feature: Apply while open Windows file

2009-02-09
2012-11-13
  • Sworddragon

Sworddragon - 2009-02-09

Notepad++ 5.2 got the feature to open an ANSI file as UTF-8 without BOM. I thought it's a nice feature, if there is an option to open a Windows file as an Unix file.

• Allen Zhu

Allen Zhu - 2009-02-10

Unix systems read UTF-8 and Unicode...

Allen Zhu
      allen.jaloola@gmail.com

• Jan Schreiber

Jan Schreiber - 2009-02-10

This feature would involve an automatic conversion. It is quite unlikely that users would want this IMO.

• Sworddragon

Sworddragon - 2009-02-10

You missunderstood me. Just try on a windows system to write a file without a line break and save it in the unix format. Now reopen the file and it will be opened in the windows format. Notepad++ identify the format through the line break but if there is no line break, Notepad++ opens the file in the windows format. At this point should be an option how to handle such files.

• Aero

Aero - 2009-02-10

In NPP 5.2 you can choose the option to automaticly convert an Ansi File to UTF-8 without BOM, it is quite helpfull if it is a short file, without Ä Ö Ü ß or sth like this.
      If you add a comment with german special Characters it is not needed to show whethr you have converted it.

Sworddragon wants a "defeault" Option. If we open a file with just ONE LINE than there is no break. And if we insert a new line it is by default in the windows format
      It is like the ANSI default in windows. If there is no special Character an UTF-8 without BOM  file was open in ANSI-Mode
      Windowsfileformat is not as important like the UTF-8 Problem, but we dislike it (and A default Option for create new files would be nice too)

Why does he need that (and i too):
      We allways work with NPP or with a unix editor and it is annoying to allways remove the Windows File Format breaks...