Menu

TextFX Characters - Cascading menu ?

2009-01-12
2012-11-14
  • David Haslam

David Haslam - 2009-01-12

The TextFX  plugin used to have a nice cascading menu structure, but since some recent updates to Notepad++,  when this PlugIn was included in the build, the cascading is gone, and we have one flat and very long menu, which requires vertical scrolling to get to some options.

Why was this retrograde change made?

Please would you restore the cascading menu structure for TextFX Characters.

• ashish jain

ashish jain - 2009-02-23

Dear David Haslam
      I was facing the same problem. I spent several hours :-( trying to fix this problem. I uninstalled and then reinstalled notepad++ atleast five to six times. I removed all the application data from all the users. Still the same result. After several hours of frustration, I decided to download the zipped binary version. It worked just fine. I finally decided that I'll use that instead of the installer version. After some  time, I realised I can no longer open a file in notepad++ by right clicking on its icon. So I decided to give one last try. I unselected all the plugins during install except for nppTextFX. It worked just fine. Then I copied all the plugin data and application data from the unicode version of the zipped binary and transferred it into the respective folders of the installed notepad++. Now surprisingly, textfx again became a flat menu inside the plugins menu. Then I deleted nppNetNote.dll from the plugins menu of the installed version and TextFX appeared in its own menu.

In Short: Delete nppNetNote.dll from the plugins folder everything will run just fine. Enjoy.

• Harry

Harry - 2009-01-12

That seems to be an bug. Could you describe the versions you have of Notepad++ and textFX? Also, see if removing other plugins helps (temporarily move all of them except ofcourse for TextFX).
      Also, do the menu items look normal or do they all have some character in front of them?

You can also try to uninstall Notepad++, remove any config if possible (custom stylers do not have to be removed, its mainly config.xml) and reinstall, it should help.

• David Haslam

David Haslam - 2009-01-13

In my place of work, I have successfully installed the same Notepad++ version 5.1.4, and I get a proper Menubar option for TextFX, with proper cascading menu.

The problem is in my home WinXP system.  I have just tried totally uninstalling Notepad++.
        I also removed all related folders from each user's Application Data.
        I then did a system restart.

I then reinstalled version 5.1.4, with the installation tick options left as default.

After Finish, the top level menu bar did not include TextFX between Run and Plugins, yet there is still a Plugins option called TextFX with a flat menu, most options of which have a leading letter followed by a colon.

Clearly something is being left behind by the uninstall process that is leaving something wrongly configured, but I haven't a clue where to look for it.

I have tried this whole uninstall/install process more than once.

I am really mystified on how to solve the problem here in my home PC.

What further information can I provide?

Best regards,
        David Haslam

• Don HO

Don HO - 2009-01-13

Please download the zipped binary then try it (unzip the package) on your home PC.

Don

• David Haslam

David Haslam - 2009-01-16

I did as you suggested, copying the Unicode branch to the Program Files\Notepad++ directory.

Afterwards, the main menubar TextFX option is still missing, and Plugins still includes the flat TextFX.

btw.  I couldn't see any substantial difference between files, apart from a 1 hour date difference, probably due to timezones.

Best regards,

David Haslam

• David Haslam

David Haslam - 2009-01-17

Further information:

At home I have WinXP Media Center edition.
      At work I have WinXP Professional.

Could this difference be part of the problem?

David

• DV

DV - 2009-01-19

Try to unzip Notepad++'es zip package to just created empty folder (for example, C:\temp\npp) and start notepad++.exe from this folder.

• David Haslam

David Haslam - 2009-02-06

I tried what you (dv__) suggested, and this worked OK.

Though of course, just copying the folder contents does not add a Notepad++ option in the Start Menu, nor does it include any Uninstall exe.

NB. I still do not know what caused the original problem.

Best regards,

David

• ZeeWolf

ZeeWolf - 2009-02-09

I had the same situation. I have found it is caused by NppDocShare.dll plugin. Delete it, and use nppNetNote.dll (successor).

• Brother Gabriel-Marie

Oh, I am sorry!  Please scratch my last post!  I didn't realize that I had to click the "View All Messages" link to see the replies!  I am sorry!  I thought nobody was responding to posts!  I removed nppNetNote.dll like ashishjain87 suggested and it fixed the problem!  Thanks for the answer, Mr. ashishjain87.  Forgive my last post, please!  -BGM