Menu

File Associations fail

travelgirl
2009-01-01
2012-11-13
  • travelgirl

travelgirl - 2009-01-01

versions 5.1.x (1, 2, and 3) - installed, updated as simple zip to folder, and with portableapp version.  all of them fail to associate notepad++ to TXT, LOG, INI, etc, even when told explicitly to do so using regedit, reg query/add, explorer, AND npp's own settings preferences, etc.  >IF< i start notepad++ with a double-click on those files, they open.  if i start it with a session, those files are completely ignored.

is this a session bug, or a "feature" of session that says you can only edit files that you explicitly launch/open from within notepad++'s own commdlg?

Thanks...

• travelgirl

travelgirl - 2009-01-02

huh.  NOW, i can open txt and log files by using double-click -- the name NPP.EXE seems to be the factor.  have no idea why, but i can live with it :)  OPEN WITH still doesn't work, but i can live with that...

• Don HO

Don HO - 2009-01-01

> all of them fail to associate notepad++ to TXT, LOG, INI, etc, even when told
      > explicitly to do so using regedit, reg query/add, explorer,
      > AND npp's own settings preferences, etc. >IF< i start notepad++
      > with a double-click on those files, they open.
      > if i start it with a session, those files are completely ignored.

I don't follow you : what do you mean : if you start Notepad++ with a session?

Don

• travelgirl

travelgirl - 2009-01-01

well, according to the NPP 4.5 notes:

Another implemented feature in this version is to associate a session extension to Notepad++, so that when Notepad++ opens such file, the session (a set of files) will be opened but not session file itself. Once users define their session file extension (in Preference dialog->MISC), a session can be opened not only via File load session command, but also via whichever way.

TXT, LOG, and INI files (among others) are file associated to NPP.
           IF NPP is not running, they open NPP correctly.
        IF i start npp with a session of files that automatically open:
        {
           nothing i double-click in the file system (explorer) that SHOULD be associated with text files (TXT, LOG, INI, etc) opens to NPP.
           nothing i right-click in the file system and select to be edited by NPP is opened by NPP.
        }
        does this ring a bell?  :)

• Don HO

Don HO - 2009-01-01

Now I see what you mean.
      Well, the file association and the session extension are 2 different features.

File association feature allows you to associate the different extensions with Notepad++ so that you can double click an associated file in explorer to open it with Notepad++.

Whereas session extension feature allows you to open a session (a group of files) by opening a session file instead of loading a session file.
      A session file is a xml file which contains a set of opened files' path. It can be created via menu "File->Save Session...". Once session file (let's say, "myWeb.session") is created, you can load this set of files via menu "File->Load Session...".
      If you open "myWeb.session" via DnD (the same effect as via menu "File->open..."), then you open just the session file itself (a xml file) but not a set of files.

Session extension feature makes your life easier : just define "session" as Notepad++ session extension, then DnD your session file "myWeb.session" into Notepad++, then a whole saved session will restore in Notepad++.

Of course you can associate ext "session" with Notepad++ by using Preferences Setting (in File Association tab) : choose "Customize" in "supported ext" then type "session".
      In this way, you can double click "myWeb.session" in explorer to opens your favorite files in Notepad++.

Don

• travelgirl

travelgirl - 2009-01-01

i understand they are two different features:  what i'm trying to tell you is that when i use session to open NPP, i no longer have file associations for normal text files in the file system.  none.  zero.  zilch.  nein. 0x0000.  NPP never opens those files when i double-click on them in explorer, or right-click on them to edit in NPP...

• Don HO

Don HO - 2009-01-02

I double click my session file to open Notepad++ with 3 files, then I double click a txt file to open in Notepad++ w/o problem (tested with v5.1.3).

Could you give me the precise procedure to reproduce it?

Don

• travelgirl

travelgirl - 2009-01-02

i've done exactly what you've done, on three different machines, with the result that nothing TXT gets opened...  i started with version 5.1.1 (portable), and currently have 5.1.3 (not portable) running.  all three fail on all three machines...

not sure what else is going on, unless it's that the portable screwed with the associations such that an install doesn't fix things...  i'll install the 5.1.3 install and see if that fixes things.

• travelgirl

travelgirl - 2009-01-02

i just tried the installer -- same problem:  even when explicitly told by the OS that npp would handle TXT files, once i open a session i cannot open a TXT file with right-click edit or double-click open, etc...

i'm at a loss.  i've even gone so far as to rename the notepad++.exe to npp.exe, just in case something really didn't like the plus characters as part of the file name.  the only thing i found there is that you cannot associate the notepad++.exe (using OPEN WITH) directly, but you can associate npp.exe without a problem...  i have no idea why.

i like your program, but this is getting ridiculous...